View Single Post
Old 30th January 2008, 05:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Bonkman
Dangerous - Post: 589

Goofy

Well, let's see...

I still have the first computer I bought back around 1992 with my own damn money lying around here somewhere. A Packard Bell 486SX-25Mhz desktop I used to play DOS games and mess around with Windows 3.0. I currently have an AMD K6-2 400Mhz machine set up with Win98SE so I can play some of those old DOS games I have and enjoy (like Conquest of the New World Deluxe).

I also have an Atari 2600 Jr. Rev A with a mess of cartridges. I even have a modified cartridge with an IC "dock" soldered & wired up to accept loose chips that the games were programed on. I remember buying it from someone who used to dumpster dive Atari's plant in Sunnyvale. Not sure why it doesn't work anymore, never got around to tearing it up and looking at how it was really done.

Of course, I have a NES, Super NES, Nintendo64, GameCube, original GameBoy, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance, all with games I've kept.

I used to have a Commodore C64 that I'd play pirated games on. I even used it up until 1994 with a 300 baud modem to connect to Quantum Link, the precursor to America Online. But, had to get rid of it when I moved to Japan while I was in the military. I miss it.

Best of all, my father has kept the old 6-switch Atari VCS - CX2600 I played as a kid. I suspect it may actually be the "heavy sixer" version that was manufactured in the US, though I haven't confirmed it.

My dad also has our old Apple ][e he bought for us "school age" kids back in the mid 1980's. We were already using them at school and we convinced the parents that we needed to have one at home to do homework and such. We had the DuoDisk and Monitor to go with the mess of games and applications I spent my hard earned money on.

Anyone still have a working Merlin? I do! But, I'm missing the box, instruction manual, and battery cover.