View Single Post
Old 27th March 2008, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Zhul
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4390 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I've been getting a lot of 4e information from EN World and I have to admit, I'm excited about it. I haven't been this excited about a new edition since I looked over the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook in the gaming store way back in the day.

There's a lot of people out there with negative attitudes about a new edition - and I can understand where they're coming from. When 3e came out I wasn't happy about it because I had well over $500 invested in the 2e books. I didn't want to see them become obsolete and didn't want to try to convert to a new ruleset. However, having played 3.5e for over a year now, I can say that a lot of the core rules used in 3e I had already house-ruled into my own 2e game.

4e is getting a pretty serious rules overhaul. I'm sure some of them will be fantastic and others will be horrible, but the key will be whether or not it is fun to play. With the new powers system, I'm hoping that the game changes from the current system of the 1st level Wizard popping his one magic missile and then sitting out for the rest of the fight, the cleric just being there to be the party bandaid, and the high level fighter being constantly overshadowded by the mage destroying an entire army with Meteor Swarm.

I'm hopeful that it will be a system that makes the game fun for everyone in any situation. I've been playing D&D for almost 30 years, so changing things up a bit is refreshing - and if I ever feel nostalgic I still have all my old books to run a campaign with.

Last edited by Zhul; 27th March 2008 at 10:38 AM.
Zhul is offline   Reply With Quote