Thread: Game controls
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2010, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
rokaan
Average - Post: 236

Default Game controls

I don't know if it is only me but have you noticed that some games require you to be able to do gymnastic moves in order to play the game.
Developers seem to think that to make a game with more complex controls will make it more successful ( more special moves etc) but it tends to be the opposite imho.

I do not wish to fight with the controls if I want to run and gun , the controls should be kept simple so I will be concentrating on the game and not the controls, keep it simple and the player will enjoy the game, and not get frustrated with the controls and give up playing the game, or throwing the controls down in disgust and frustration.

There are games that may have you moving the mini joystick(s) while pushing some buttons while you also push the shoulder buttons down just to execute one move and then it only works some of the time. I don't care how good the game is but if the controls have a steep learning curve then a lot of people will not have the patience to invest their time to learn them ( some of us don't have as much time as we used to ).

The K.I.S.S. method should definitely be used when applied to the controller controls for games.

A grumpy old mans opinion on the newer games that have overly complex controls.
rokaan is offline   Reply With Quote