Only news I can get access to. Sorry no times on these update
IGN has contacted SCEA for additional updates on what's causing these errors.
Update: Sony has confirmed that slim PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected.
Update 2: According to Sony's US PlayStation blog, the company has "narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this." However, despite more calls to Sony there's no indication on the time it'll take to fix – or indeed what the fix will be. More updates the instant we get them.
Update 3: Sony has yet to provide an official update on the problem. The company did say, however, owners should wait before trying to resolve the issue. "Please don't trust info regarding this issue unless from an official Sony source."
Update 4: Sony just released the following statement:
"As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.
We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game."
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.
As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused."
I may take off from work early, buy a bucket of popcorn and sit outside an EB and watch (and take bets on) the number of people trying to trade in their fat PS3 for a slimline