View Single Post
Old 27th May 2010, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Atrayo
Elite - Post: 2708

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I just finished listening to this episode where i'll comment here and there on a few points from your discussion.

When both of you were speaking about the "Japanese **** Play" game. Where Stefaan was discussing the cultural tendencies of a society, particularly his Belgium one. The Japanese have a Bondage tradition called "Kinbaku" that literally means "the beauty of tight bindings". Where the western erotic side of bondage is mostly immobilization. In Japan its to gain pleasure from the intricate patterns and strain of the ropes. (making sure to avoid injury)

Wikipedia has a entry for this which i won't link to due to some erotic images.

Later on during this podcast you mention about a game journalist having an email sent to his boss from a game publisher wanting a favorable review. (you did mention someone was sacked, i think?)

In certain game journalism be it in magazines or online the game publishers pay a lot for advertising. Where in some not so ethical cases the game publisher will send an email like the one you cited. Where if the game review site or magazine doesn't comply. They lose out on advertising revenue that would have otherwise supported them. Game journalists are at times notorius of committing incest with game publishers. Going on all paid expenses trips to showcase a game or at an expo like E3. The game site gets free copies of the game to review, etc...

Towards the end of the podcast Ashlann you ask if gamers would pay extra to get into a closed beta. (around a $200 US price point)

Well if game publishers created a VIP section for preferred treatment during a closed beta. Similar to amusement park fast track access instead of waiting in lines. Including other incentives, be it a game T-Shirt, discount coupon of the game title when it retails, exclusive DLC. Than as that sort of package deal many gamers may be apt to pay greater amounts of dollars to get in. (similar to paying for a Collectors Edition of a game title)

Otherwise a game publisher will sabotage their efforts if they're seeking a large pool of closed beta players / testers to pay to get in. I know when i played the closed beta of the original "Everquest" back in the year 1999. SOE asked us to pay $5 to cover the costs of the game CD-Rom and the shipping & handling. That's no biggie.

Now to play catch-up with episodes 21 & 22.

Last edited by Atrayo; 27th May 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote