View Single Post
Old 12th June 2010, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Drac
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7434

Yeehaw
Default Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Anyone else thinking about getting this, for $10 it seems like good multiplayer time killer.

Pre-purchase Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam

You also get the first expansion free if you pre-purchase, whatever that is.

I used to play a bit of magic way back, it's probably been about a decade since I've touched a deck, but I always enjoyed the game's format and play style. Like every good and addictive game it's easy to learn but difficult to master. Would be keen on going a few rounds online with some TOGers in this rendition.

From what I understand it doesn't offer full deck customisation like the real world CCG, but to be honest I always liked this game better when it wasn't about "who paid for all the super-rare kick ass cards".

Seems to be a lot of game modes too. Offline co-op (hotseat type play I assume), online 2, 3 and 4 way battles as well as 2 vs 2. I'm not sure if you can play 2 player co-op versus the AI online though. I'm guessing most of the fun from this kind of game will come from the smack talk over voice comms.

The only real downside I can see is that it was designed to be a 360 game first, but it's not a shooter, I don't see how you could screw up the controls for a video based CCG.

IGN review of the 360 version here:

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN

And a TSR video review for those textually challanged folk:

Post up if you're thinking about picking this up.

Last edited by Drac; 12th June 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote