View Single Post
Old 17th June 2010, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Drac
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

I've been thinking the exact Opposite Brootal. Well, the old DOS game is still good, but I relly like this one too.

For $10, it's been a fantastic and very fun re-introduction to the game for me. I like the way everyone is limited to fixed decks with optional unlockable cards, it levels things out much more kinda like a class system in an MMO. The decks are all built for certain kinds of play, some are meant for fast wins, others really open up in the late game when you have a lot of land in play. There's lots to explore here. The strategic heart of the game is still very much there, and that's all I really wanted.

Perhaps not the best fit for hardcore magic players who just want a carbon copy digital version of the CCG, but hell, you can play the real CCG online with a webcam if you really want to. As for not being able to manually tap lands, I haven't noticed any major issues. Land choice is predictable based on what stage of the game you're in. In any stage it will always pay attention to your hand and try to keep mana types for casting what spells you have available. If you're in the main phase it will place higher preference on keeping mana for summoning spells, in a combat phase it will place higher preference on keeping mana for instant or interrupt spells. At least that's the way it seems to do it.

I didn't have any issues with multiplayer. It's all integrated into steam, you can join/invite friends that way, was easy and worked like a charm. It also makes use of steam VOIP, but there's a big delay. If you're using you own 3rd party program like Teamspaeak, Ventrilo or Mumble then make sure you don't map the same key as your steam > settings > voice key or you'll get a delayed repeat.

The lack of online co-op is annoying I agree, I hope they add that in a patch. Apart from that I thought the single player campaign was a tad short. They could have done a lot more with that but *shrug*, for $10 I really can't complain. I'm sure to get plenty of hours of play form it.
Drac is online now   Reply With Quote