View Single Post
Old 27th October 2010, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Zhul
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4476 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I recently wrapped up my 4e campaign of 16 months where we played every other week. 4e really rekindled my interest in the hobby - and it helped that a friend at work felt the same so we could get a group together. I am playing in that friend's campaign which has been going just as long as mine (meeting once a month) and will wrap up in December, another friend just started another 1/mo game, and we're doing a round-robin DMing game every other week to replace the one I ended. I honestly haven't gamed this much since college, and it's a blast. Of course, I don't have any kids to worry about, so I have more time than most folks with family duties.

Computer games can be a lot of fun, but I have to agree that tabletop games give you something more. One of our last sessions had us fighting on a bridge over a river of lava. A computer game might have certain effects programmed in, but you are still constrained by the game's design (possibly leaving you to only fight on the bridge). I was able to have my character throw one of the bad guys off the bridge into the lava - only to have him pull a balrog on me and try to drag me down with him. I was thinking on the fly and so was my DM. It's cool stuff like that I find videogames lack. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just a different form of entertainment.