View Single Post
Old 5th January 2012, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Sorontar
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9297

Quote:
Originally Posted by joohansson View Post
Great! What is the difference between public and global?
I don't really technically know, but the way I would treat it would be public warppoints are under your control but are for others to use, e.g. sorontar.castle is the entrance to my castle gates. Global warppoints are community-based points, e.g a warp to spawn.

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible in the mod, but what if you always automatically appended the user name in front of the warp name "behind the scenes"?
The DB records who starts each warppoint and who owns it. However, the naming practise we use originated from a mod that didn't have the feature. Without it, we would find warps like "top" and not know who set them. Now it is just a way to help organise the warppoints, as we can search for "sorontar" and it will tell the player all of my warppoints that are on their list.

While it would be helpful to have this automated a little, there are few flaws in the idea. Firstly, not all warppoints need it, like the global warpoints I have set, e.g. spawn, nether.spawn. Secondly, not all players may want to use their player names, due to their length, e.g. Joohansson might want to use jooh and Danger Mouse might use dm. Thirdly, this is something to approach the developer about (cf. xWarp - Bukkit), as we can't do it. It is our way of doing things, not his.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote