View Single Post
Old 28th March 2012, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noises
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty
Default [Tribes: Ascend] In Game Roles

Here's a newby guide for the roles different players can take in your average Capture The Flag match of Tribes: Ascend and the in-game skills you need to fill these roles effectively.

Lets start with the defensive roles, because like they say in the game, invincibility lies in the defence, the chance for victory in the offence.

Two critical areas need defending, the flag and the generator. Flagstand defence stops the other team from getting away with your flag, generator defense keeps the deployable defences (turrets, force fields etc) and the vehicle stand operational.

Flag Defence calls for a quick aiming eye and the ability to ski reasonably well, as sometimes, you might have to chase and finish off a wounded enemy flag capper (capturer.) It also helps if you know the most common Front to Back capping routes enemy cappers will most likely attack from on each map, so you can watch for incoming cappers. It's not a role I play often enough to know what works well, but I like to take a Juggernaut, stand backl off the flag stand, preferably in cover, and be ready to lob a very well timed mortar round onto the flag stand, killing the enemy capper and getting me a flag defender accolade. Doombringers apparently are good for this role too, their force shields are certainly crucial to a solid flag defence.

Generator Defence, talk to Yvnu. He plays a technician, and uses his turrets and sensors with deadly efficiency on Gen D. He knows the best places to put his deployables, to finish off would-be generator killers and he's a dab hand with that machine pistol. To play good generator defence you need to be a very good shot as well as have fast reflexes as half of your opponents will be invisible and the other half have the initiative in almost every attack. You'll also depend on someone having your back, usually a heavy like Shinjo or myself, who just need to be good at rearming, not dying and mortar spam. Helping out in generator defence is a good place to grind for XP, because as long as that generator is running, SOMEONE will want to shut it down. You can get a lot of kills on Gen D.

Chasers usually hang out with flag defenders and provide a frontline to base defence, helping cover entrances to your base until they're needed to fill their main role, chasing enemy cappers. Skiing and map knowledge are paramount skills. If you were a good sniper in other games, you can also play chaser as a sniper, covering the mid ground between the two bases, since flag carriers don't heal until they drop the flag. Two shots and you can force a smart player to drop the flag, a third shot kills most dumb ones. (llama grabbing Juggs notwithstanding,. not looking at anyone in particular me and Shinjo...)

Moving onto attack, obviously, looking at the defence, there's two main kinds of attackers, people who go after flags and people who go after base assets (like generators, turrets etc) or cappers and gener-haters.

Cappers go fast. REAL fast. You want superb skiing skills, thrust packs and the ability to disc jump without almost killing yourself. Map knowledge is also a must, since every map has it's fastest routes into and out of the flag stands. Cappers are very squishy, slow ones don't last long.

Gener-haters come in two main flavours, the dreaded infiltrators and the guts and glory heavies. To play an infiltrator well you'll need patience, good base knowledge and faster reflexes than the enemy technicians. To play a heavy offence well you need the smarts to cross the mid ground in your big, slow, cumbersome armour with the big targets painted all over it, the prowess behind the trigger to make good use of your heavy AoE weapons on groups of defenders dumb enough to bunch up and it helps if you're the kind of person who'll co-ordinate your attack with a capper to lob a few mortar rounds onto the flagstand on your way into the generator room. Yes, flag clearing is an actual thing.

If you're on a team with people playing each of these roles effectively, chances are you're going to be on a winning team. If you're new, play wingman to someone in their role, cover their back and hopefully they'll cover yours too.

I've left out offensive snipers because their benefit to the team is such that they're not worth mentioning in a post about team roles. If you want to be a sniper, please, please, be a flag chaser and flag stand defender, your team will thank you for it.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote