View Single Post
Old 20th June 2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Justin Kace
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I found Dear Esther a little bit 'hipster', but still definitely worth the money and time, just for it being something quite different in terms of gaming. I intended to play through it again after my first playthrough, but haven't got there yet. I wrote a little Steam review... I'll see if I can find it.

A very peculiar experience. I wouldn't call it a game, it's definintely a story, and the player is more just along for the ride. It has some very nice visuals, and the music and narrative is great (although the narrative can get a little wanky in places). It took me 1.5 hours to play through and at the end I'm not sure how I feel about it. Wether my money would have been better spent elsewhere or my time would have been better spent in another game (or a book or listening to a CD, which is closer to what I was doing playing this). I think I'll revisit it, as it's apparently semi-randomised.

Not really a recommendation, this. As a story... I still don't really know what the full story was. As a game... It's just not. There are no puzzle elements, no choices (other than play the game or don't), no challenge (aside from the urge to damn my curiosity and quit). But it was still quite interesting, and only 1.5 hours of my life so I wont begrudge it that.