View Single Post
Old 31st October 2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Sorontar
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

As Obsi said, the event will be on tonight. There is so much to explore I think we will probably be leaving it up for a few days, especially since not everyone will be able to visit it tonight.

Where:

Sanctuary will be shutdown and Togwarts will be put in its place at tog.swoit.as:25565 .

This will be run as vanilla 1.4.2 with Hard Survival difficulty.

The texture pack that comes with it is unusable as is (really out-of-date and not user friendly), but we are waiting for permission from its creator that we can use a version which Obsi has updated for us (thanks Obsi!). We will make the original texture pack available regardless, but you may find it is better to play without it.

To start:

You will spawn outside a building. Inside that building is Platform 9 3/4. Collect a map, 64 arrows and a bow from the chest and a minecart from a hidden dispenser. If the chest is empty, there are spares in a room at the end of the platform.

Ride the rails to the Hogsmeade station. From there, take the well lit 1st year's path to Hogwarts or the unlit forest path. You can also walk to Hogsmeade or travel by rail to Diagon Alley.

What to do:

Explore! Fight the monsters! Find locations and stuff, but don't break anything.

Players shouldn't need to mine at all. However, you are welcome to harvest crops and craft items like weapons and armour, but you will find that there are various items in chests that you are welcome to take. Be sure to leave some for others.

The monsters are as per Hard difficulty. This is supposed to be a challenge. Because this is vanilla 1.4, we have a few special tricks up our sleeves.
  • Inventory is permanent - If you die, you will not lose items from your inventory. So you can keep any weapons, diamonds, items you have found and use them when respawned.
  • You can reset spawnpoints without beds - At Hogsmeade station and The Leaky Cauldron, there are labelled pressure pads that can reset your spawnpoint to that location.
  • Creepers are not destructive - Yes, the explode and hurt you, but they don't make big holes in the ground. Likewise, endermen should be able to pick up anything
But watch out! 1.4 also means that some monsters will have armour and better weapons.

Challenges:

A few challenges await you.
  • Find locations - While this doesn't cover the entire Harry Potter world, the following sites are somewhere to be found
    • Hogwarts
    • Diagon Alley
    • Knockturn Alley
    • Hogsmeade
    • Hagrid's Shack
    • Owl Tower
    • Shrieking Shack
    • Aragog's Tunnels
  • Find rooms - There are a number of well known rooms. Can you find them all? We certainly haven't yet.
    • The Houses' Common Rooms
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • Dumbledore's office
    • Dining Hall
    • Dueling Room
    • The philosopher's stone
  • Find diamonds - There are 200+ diamonds, each in a chest hidden through the world. Make use of them as you wish.
  • Find Beacon pyramids - I have set up beacon pyramids of different power in three places. Each will have a sign nearby labelling them. However, they will not have a beacon block ... yet.
  • Find Beacon blocks - I have hidden 3 beacon blocks in chests. The start of the path to them is "nearish" to a pyramid but is not marked. These are designed to be really difficult. I might give hints as the night goes on.
  • Find other items - we are yet to add some, but various magical items are already there... including a dragon's egg.
Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 31st October 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote