View Single Post
Old 1st November 2012, 12:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Destraex
Harmless - Post: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixa... View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply [edit: The one with pics]

I can hear your comments about history and I guess that's why you love WOTR so much, it's steeped in history. You couldn't call it that without being historically accurate. I guess what I'm saying is it's more important (for me) to have a fun melee action/sim than an historically accurate one.

Melee classes DON'T have access to javelins, only the Archer class can wield it and a Knight using throwing hatchets is a trade off (it goes in his 3rd slot where his shield would sit)

With WOTR, can you switch from a charged run in attack straight to a parry because I think I'm kinda missing your point about using Q in C:ME. In C:ME you don't hold a stance (and I doubt historically many soldiers would) you move fluidly through stances...When you need to parry you need to actually aim at the oncoming weapon not guess which of four attacks your opponent will use.
Blocking is not like swinging. It should not be instantaneous, but it should not we some kind of over extended swing that forces you off balance enough to have to drop your guard as a blow comes in. That is what chivalry seems to do. You block, which really cost you nothing in effort and then see a blow coming in. Instead of being able to hold the block which should be easy. You are forced to drop your sword like your are off balance or gravity has beaten your arm.

In WOTR blocking can be held indefinitely in any directions. This also corresponds to the four directions you can swing (including from the left ).
You can of course adjust and aim from where ever you swing also.
But blocking in WOTR is a little more static. A block left will tend to block any blow coming from that direction, as long as the block is not defeated by a perk of some kind like "break block".
You can hold the block as long as you like. I would say this would happen more in real life than you think considering the size of two handed weapons.... but here I would submit to any experts out there.

But however it is it cannot be worse than having your block forced away simply to make the game more interesting.
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote