View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
DaedalusAlpha
Ace - Post: 8362 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Can we get some info on exactly what was wrong other than the quarry or is it hard to pinpoint? I mean if it's for example a case of pipe overflowing or such, then there are steps the rest of us can take to prevent that from happening in our own bases.

My base is not always that easy to turn off, much of it is event controlled with no central command (a cart coming in with materials from my off-site quarry will start a sorting and smelting operation which in turn might trigger a lava fuel retrieval operation from the nether which will start a pump over there and so on). Sometimes a lot of stuff will happen, sometimes it will be idle for hours. It's simply hard to know if some unfortunate series of events might create a bad scenario (like programming in a multithreaded environment).

Although I do of course do my best to limit the requirements it has on the server, trying to avoid repeated unnecessary operations and adding watchdogs which will stop operation in case of overflow. Though in such a high level scenario as this it's hard to tell what eats a lot of CPU cycles and what doesn't. For example, who knows how CPU intensive it is for a cart to travel through a myst portal? I don't think it's too bad, but I still try to limit it as much as possible.

Edit: I'm not trying to be difficult here, I just want to be as sure as possible that my base doesn't act up when I'm not there.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 3rd January 2013 at 03:54 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote