TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > The Barracks

The Barracks Potential new members need to post here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th February 2013, 06:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 15

Default Membership application

Hello;

I'm a 33 year old gamer from Chicago. I just had my birthday a few weeks ago, it feels quite odd to type my age.

I had been living in Japan and Korea off and on for the past 10 or so years working first as a translator then as a teacher. I recently came back to the states to go to graduate school in Chicago, my hometown.

Being a full-time student again is both good and bad, as one can imagine. I have quite a bit more free time this semester than last, so I find myself with more time to play. I've been going through my massive (MASSIVE!) backlog of games that I've accumulated over the past few years. I recently built a new gaming PC so have been sticking with that, although there's a lot of PS3 games I've been playing lately as well. I also got a 3DS, because I guess I just didn't have enough games I wasn't able to play.

I've been playing games for about 30 years, since my older brother got a Colecovision in 1983 or so. I have done translating work for video games, as well as worked for a PC gaming magazine in Japan.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this guild in Tera. I had previously been running google searches for adult guilds, but couldn't find any that were either appealing to me or played games outside of the man-shooter genre. MMOs are great, but I find myself instantly turning off global/local chat because I just can't stand dealing with the children that play them. As MMOs live and die by their members, it's counter-productive of me to ignore so many people, but... I just can't deal with the kiddie chat going on.

So, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to gaming with you all!
Crunchwrap Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th February 2013, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 565

Brooding
Default MMOs good to play

Maybe your experiences with other MMOs has not be so good. Now here I hope is the BUT....

We have a number of great MMO comunities.. two that I know about are

Lord of the Rings Online - LOTRO - Free to play now - Great MMO - We have two great kinships in the Older Gamers - European and US Based.

Star Wars - The Old Republic - We have a great bunch of players on the American server and the Oz server.

As well as these two great MMOs there are a number of other activities that the Older Gamers is up to. whatever takes your fancy you will find like minded persons like you that do not like Kiddie Chat....

I wish you all the best in your time with the Older Gamers....

Crash

North America PVE Officer - Explodin - Glowin - Boomin. Add me to your friends list if you would like a guild invite.

Crashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 15

I had a great time in CoH, and am still friends with one of the guys I teamed up with. Same goes with Battlefield 2142 (though not really an MMO).

I am on the fence with TOR. I duo'd with a friend of mine before, and it was great fun. However, once one of us got even a single mission ahead of the other, it became a huge pain. It didn't seem like it was possible to easily share missions and the like, and we quickly got bored with it. It was a great single player game, though. Maybe some people here that are active in that community can show me what I've been missing - I'd like to go back to it.
Crunchwrap Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Buff the Magic Dragon
Lethal - Post: 5179

Relaxed

zuburi,

Welcome to TOG, your application has been reviewed and approved.

You now have full access to all parts of TOG including:
  • All TOG member only Forums
  • All TOG member only areas of the website
  • All TOG member only game divisions
  • All TOG game servers
Your membership also includes access to various get-together, events, contests, and other exclusives for this 25 and over only organisation.

For a complete list of everything your membership includes along with everything you might want to know in order to take advantage of your new membership, be sure to stop by to read the "New TOG Members' Guide"

Currently TOG consists of nearly 30 game divisions and over 36,000 registered members. There's also plenty of other cool stuff on TOG, so browse around & check it all out. We sincerely hope that you enjoy TOG for as long as you choose to. Feel free to spread the message to your friends and family who enjoy gaming and don't forget to have fun yourself!

All the best!

The Older Gamers
Old 14th February 2013, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1388

Daring

Hello zuburi.

I would recommend you (and I am not impartial) to try Guild Wars 2.
The mechanics of the game are designed around empowering players to play the game rather than wasting time on time sinks.
Hundreds of Waypoints that, after reached by foot for the 1st time, you can teleport to immediatly allow for not wasting time when making groups.
Downleveling keeps low level zones and dungeons interesting for higher level players so they are not depleted. You will still find less people in low level zones or dungeons than after game lauch but it is not as bad as in other MMOs.
No lockouts that stop you from playing what you want. No complicated prerrequisites. And if there is a prerrequisite (like beating this dungeon in story mode before doing explore mod) it is enough if one member of the group has it completed. The rest in the group can also do and get credit for it if succesfully completed.
And, most important of all, it is designed around the idea of player cooperation. In other games you go with all your good will to help someone and you get angry messages about "stealing their mob". Or the people who think the mining points are their property and scowl at you. In GW2 mining a point gets you your items but all other players can still mine that same point once per day. Damaging a mob will net you XP or items but so will do for the other ones helping even if not in the same group and without a disminution of the reward for not doing 100% damage. You get XP for rezzing people, and all classes can rezz.

Which means that in GW2 the usual player, even the younger ones, are kind and helpful. We still have trolls, but way less.

Oh, and there is no monthly fees. Just the price for the box/serial key, like in offline games. They have a microtransactions shop, but with no I-WIN or even I-ADVANTAGE items.

Hmmmm, should I apply for the GW2 marketing department?
LuthienCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote