Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > The Barracks

The Barracks Potential new members need to post here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th February 2013, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 15

Default Membership Application (somewhat long - bring something to eat, use the toilet first)

Greetings.

No, wait, too stuffy.

Hi!

Ugh, no, too typical.

Hallo!

Affected.

'Sup?

Right. I'm 35, not 15.

So... hey. I'm Detonaloke. 35. and a half. I live in Canada and am lucky enough to have a 9-5 M-F job so I play evenings and weekends, pacific time. I just bought Guild Wars 2 and have been poking around looking for a guild not made up of teenagers. Not that there's anything wrong with teenagers. But you know. They talk about how much homework they got this weekend, I talk about how I'm starting to fear getting down on my hands and knees to clean things because I may not make it up again. I always considered myself fairly immature but that generation gap is getting wider and wider, and I'm a lousy jumper anyway.

Ooh right, the app. So I envied my cousins for getting an NES when they were brand new. Played Atari at a friend's house. Damn near died when we got our very own (used) C64. I still miss that thing. Had a (vanilla) gameboy and managed to play all of two games, tried out the PS3 and a couple other consoles and realized that I was never, ever going to be any good at it. PC gaming - okay I'm still not very good, but at least I can hit the things with other things, which is pretty much what I like doing, so I'm a happy camper. Sierra Gaming and LucasArts kept me busy for several years - I loved the Space Quest and Monkey Island adventure games, and Full Throttle is still my favorite adventure game. Afterlife was my first experience with sim games, and I loved it, although it wasn't until The Sims that I enjoyed another sim game.

My first experience with 'addictive' gaming was Everquest. Again, still miss it, even if I was fool enough to try and play a rogue solo. Yikes. Played that for a couple years until WoW started garnering some strong positive feedback and that... well let's just say that I contributed to the employee pensions for several years. Played all combinations and classes, but had a fierce love of the Horde, and always wished for a true 'evil' playable faction. Managed to play from vanilla straight through to Cata, but I'm a slow leveller, and I finally burned out on trying to play catch-up and realized I was very very VERY tired of dailies. But while I played, I had lots of fun. I loved my orcs and undead, and I loved playing dressup with them, collecting minipets, streaking the Alliance city with my naked undead, and loved, loved, LOVED setting things on fire in BGs (I wasn't good, but everybody always thought everybody else sucked in BGs, so it was easy to blend in). WoW kept me busy enough that I didn't play a lot of other games for several years. Near the end Dragon Age managed to seduce me, and I *loved* it. Cried at the ending, I'm not ashamed to say. I have a Steam account which sees on-and-off activity from me, but it's mostly single player games. I've tried stuff like TF2 and a few others and just... no. Like console games, they are something I just am not good enough at to feel like playing. So yeah, more adventure games, replaying adventure games, and some random ones that garner a lot of attention out of nowhere, like Recettear and To The Moon (cried at that one too).

So, that's me. And now GW2. I have only been playing for about two days. I've rolled and rerolled trying out different starting areas, classes and races. None of them have struck me particularly hard - but I have developed a hard and early crush on my latest reroll - a human engineer, of all things. I've always thought playing humans in games was silly because, y'know. What's the point, I do that in real life, right? And guns? Well, we've already discussed how now good I am with them in other games. But the moment my mohawked butt pulled out a gun and started going Annie Oakley on some centaurs, I was absolutely and totally in love. And so now I'd like some company while I play. I promise I don't talk nearly this much in-game. I just have a habit of wall-o-texting when I'm explaining something. When I'm doing my favorite job of hitting thing with other things, I tend to stay fairly monosyllabic.
Admatha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th February 2013, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 4354 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Cheeky

Welcome to TOG, your application has been reviewed and approved.

You now have full access to all parts of TOG including:
  • All TOG member only Forums
  • All TOG member only areas of the website
  • All TOG member only game divisions
  • All TOG game servers
Your membership also includes access to various get-together, events, contests, and other exclusives for this 25 and over only organisation.

For a complete list of everything your membership includes along with everything you might want to know in order to take advantage of your new membership, be sure to stop by to read the "New TOG Members' Guide"

Currently TOG consists of nearly 30 game divisions and over 57,000 registered members. There's also plenty of other cool stuff on TOG, so browse around & check it all out. We sincerely hope that you enjoy TOG for as long as you choose to. Feel free to spread the message to your friends and family who enjoy gaming and don't forget to have fun yourself!

All the best!

The Older Gamers
Old 19th February 2013, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1388

Daring

Hello Admatha.

Glad that you have found us. Quite often our guild chat is a bit silent so your eagerness to type is more than welcome.
I think you'll enjoy playing GW2, a game which does not forget about slow levelers, where the game does not "begin" at max level.
Dunno why are dailies so important in WoW that people need to do them, in GW2 I almost never do them and feel I am not missing anything gearwise or otherwise. Actually, in GW2 I never engage in repetitive actions at all and that means no dissadvantage to me.
Ok, to be honest, in fractals I've done repeated dungeons, but at progressive levels of difficulty. Not the exact same dungeon with the same level of opposition repeated ad nauseum just for a chance on a drop as in other MMOs.

Despite being european I think we'll meet in game since your early evening is my prime time. Hope to meet you in game.

Please come on over to the GW2 Division and introduce yourself.

Once you get to the guildwars 2 forum can you please put your details and server choice in the Guild signup thread here:
http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...up-thread.html
We look forward to meeting you in game. We have an official presence in Yak's Bend and The Desolation.

Please review the green stickies at the top of the page for important information

Thanks
LuthienCeleste
LuthienCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote