Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > The Barracks

The Barracks Potential new members need to post here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th March 2006, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 78

Default Potential new member... Blackadder

Hey guys,

My name's Rob. I'm a Sydneysider. I'm 30. I'm an IT journalist "in real life".

Wow, I don't normally write in such tiny sentences, but I guess it gets across the main things you need to know "at a glance" if you want to stop reading here.

--

OK, so for those of you who have read on... I'm here because I stumbled across a copy of Battlefield 1942 at the weekend for $15 and, unlike most of Western civilisation, had yet to actually play the game. I'd kind of got worn out on Call of Duty and Return to Castle Wolfenstein "back in the day" and never really bothered with BF1942 because it just seemed like more of the same. Wow, was I wrong!

I took the game home, patched it, and spent the next 4 or 5 hours playing on GameArena (neat that anyone can use GameArena, too, considering I'm an Ozemail/iiNet user), with some decent gamers. And, no, before you jump to conclusions, they weren't TOG members... they were just decent gamers who, I suspect, would have been pretty mature guys.

So, today, I started doing some research on Wikipedia, and other sources, learning about the mods that are out there, the add ons, the 'sequels' like Vietnam and Battlefield 2 and all that good stuff. I concluded that the next logical move would be to find a clan, preferably with an Aussie base, or a lot of Aussie members, and started to look around.

I probably looked at about 4 or 5 different clans before, basically accidentally, finding TOG. I did some looking around, some reading, and concluded that this could be a really great place to hook up with people and do some gaming.

What really appealed was that you take gaming seriously, and look forward to competing, but aren't as hardcore as some groups and want people to, essentially, audition for a space in the group. I like that because, while I wouldn't put my skills down, neccessarily, I'm not about to go talking them up... especially after several years away from playing FPSes online. In more recent times I've been playing things like Star Wars Galaxies and EverQuest 2.

Anyway... that's probably enough of an introduction. What's next? I'm guessing, from reading other threads, that I'll get approved or rejected within the body of this thread -- after which I'm free to go online with the tag: TOG | Blackadder ?

Looking forward to hearing more and meeting some of you online.
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th March 2006, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, I just realised I was perhaps a little unclear on what I'd be playing within TOG.

Definitely Battlefield 1942 (with or without the Desert Combat mod), and other Battlefield spin offs like Battlefied 2 or Battlefield Vietnam.

Other games? Yeah, possibly. Maybe. But, for now, BF1942 is the big one. Just wanted to be clear on that
Old 13th March 2006, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 88

Welcome to TOG, be sure to reply after you have read the TOG FAQ and AUP saying that you have read them and agree to abide by them and I am sure an Admin will be along before long to take care of ya!
Old 13th March 2006, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 88

opps accidental double post. Please Delete me

Last edited by GideonHawke; 13th March 2006 at 04:19 PM.
GideonHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh yes, I read the TOG FAQ and AUP and will of course, abide by the latter. It was something I was very quick to read, actually, because the mark of a good group is in its documents like that.
Old 13th March 2006, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Elite - Post: 3826

Cheeky

Hey Blackadder and welcome. As has been said up there ^ an admin will be around shortly. I have been around this mob for just a little while but have had a wonderful time and have been welcomed like a long lost family member. We are more than a clan, and the many RL meets are testiment to the many good friendships that are forged through TOG and tempered in the cauldron of online gaming. We are not about your 1337 5K1LL5 but rather having fun while doing what we love.

If you get the time have a look at The Lounge and the new sub-forums it contains. Oh and have a look at Day Of Defeat Source and Counter Strike Source then come into The Chateau and have a chat with me and the boys.

Not many of us bite but watch out for Gator (she has a reputation for using pointy sticks) and Demon_Keeler (DK) they can be dangerous

Anyway you get out of this place what you put into it, so enjoy your stay and hang on for the ride of your life !!!!
Bugsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tiger74

Excellent - Welcome to TOG Blackadder. A TOG Admin should swing by soon.

Look forward to gaming with you online.
Old 13th March 2006, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone -- yes, I'm sure I've made a good choice.

Looking forward to getting the backstage pass
Old 13th March 2006, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 588

Welcome aboard mate...havnt got any of the battlefield series, but if you come over to COD land at some stage say hello.
Happy gaming.
The_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Will do... I actually have the original COD somewhere around here... thanks mate