TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 23rd June 2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1028

Dead
Default BF3 Hardware Requirements

Nathan Lawrence from Atomic Mag chatted with Patrick Bach, executive producer of DICE about battlefield 3. There is an article in the June mag, I don't know if I can post the article here, most of it is already known info except for the lighting and hardware requirements.

Quoted from the article (with some slight editing for ease of typing)
Quote:
The demo at E3 was run on a computer with standard high end components and a single NIVDIA 580, the minimum requirements for running bf3 are equivelent to the output from the consoles, not CPU vs CPU, but matching output. Patrick went on to say that the computer that will run bf3 on full settings has yet to be built.
One of the most impressive features was the real-time lighting. For the PC we have a dynamic radiosity system that actually bounces light around in real time. The feeling of being indoors will differ quite a lot from outdoors. Also having everything have occlusion; so characters moving up close to walls create a shadow - even if its not a drop shadow - it just occludes light from the surrounding area. And that creates a very physical contact with the world. The physical impact that you make when you run around the environment will actually be enhanced by the lighting. Having nighttime with, y'know, hundreds of point lights instead of a couple. So we can do many things with light that we have never done before. We asked how the real-time lighting would be impacted by the new levels of destructibility in bf3. Patrick responded enthusiastically with this, "Make a hole in a wall and light will then bounce from that new hole into the environment. Again, we're trying to not focus on it as a feature. We see it as a natural part of the physical world you're in. So it should just feel natural to blow a hole in the wall and everything just adapts to that situation and it looks stunning. That's the goal"
So start saving and sweet talking if you are chasing the eye candy...........

Last edited by T0by1; 23rd June 2011 at 09:04 PM.
T0by1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd June 2011, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Spammer - Post: 20590

Paranoid

They can run it now we have machines ..... who needs eye candy to shoot something

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Binary-Ninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7040

Paranoid

Me
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5325

Breezy

Upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge-E CPU + X79 Chipset Motherboard + 2x580 or ATI's upcoming 7000 series gpu should be good for 1080p.

Last edited by C4; 23rd June 2011 at 11:23 PM.
C4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1604

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
Upcoming Intel Sandy Bridge-E CPU + X79 Chipset Motherboard + 2x580 or ATI's upcoming 7000 series gpu should be good for 1080p.

That is my plan of attack. However, my currently "ok" gaming rig, I can play BC2 in high, but have it on low settings because I prefer fps to eye candy....helps with the pew pew
Old 24th June 2011, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
Guru - Post: 12251

Yeah I'll be holding off until mid-October to make my decisions then. If it looks like there's a new super CPU/GPU available "soon" I may hold off... but probably not.

It'll be like Crysis was on release. The current (at the time) bundles of hardware could run the game, and it looked incredible - but to fully max it out took a few more years of hardware evolution. I don't need everything maxed on 3 x 30" monitors... I just need it to run smooth, look good and play well on my (soon to get) 24" screen. I'm sure any one of the current mid to high end GPU's could handle that.
Spectre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Paranoid

Yes it will be playable in lots of different hardware environments the enterbf3 guys did rough specs based on frostbite 1.5 engine fro BFBC2 and DICE have come out and said Frostbite 2 is far better resource wise and more refined of engine the 1.5 was so no need for massive hardware upgrades like you used to .... If they make the specs way above the norm to play the game wont sell and they have shot themselves int the foot..

What is known DX 10 DX 11 only so XP is out Vista / Win 7 onwards and that is inline with hardware requirements

EnterBF3
Quote:
While no official announcement of minimum requirements for Battlefield 3 have been made, we do know what engine the game will be running. Frostbite 2.0. Because of this we can estimate what requirements will be expected when Battlefield 3 hits shelves.

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
Video Memory: 256 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 10
Keyboard and Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Quadcore Processor
Memory: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
Video Memory: 512 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 11
Keyboard and Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Old 25th June 2011, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6544

Grumpy

Decided to hold off on my 3dtv i had promised myself this year just in case me 6600 460gtx cannot handle the pace.

Admittedly i like my candy.
Old 25th June 2011, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1028

Dead

Just remember, the full settings referred to might be 3 monitors at 2560 x 1600 each, and running any game at 7680 x 1600 on max is going to be taxing. They might even have it capable of running 6 or more monitors, so I wouldn't stress too much about the requirements yet. Although, more is always better
T0by1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Paranoid

bawheid if the prettiness is your main concern you might need to upgrade more modern CPU , GPU ... but if that 6600 is a quad core i think it would be okay with the 460 ..maybe not max everything but okay