Old 10th July 2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11362

Default no mod tools for PC

At this stage no mod tools for PC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Söderlund
Too big of a challenge for modders
Ouch! Quite an insult to the modding community in my opinion.

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th July 2011, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused

Grrr.

I stopped buying COD games when they did that.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2659

Lightbulb

Hi Guys,

I have a suspicion that it has very little to do with the "Frostbite 2.0" game engine for the main reason they're not releasing Mod Tools. I think its because EA wants to maintain exclusive control on content and be able to offer DLC as a substitute for a community of modders.

I wrote a blog post on this topic last year in June titled "Will DLC Spell The End For The Modder Community". Which is my take on the reasoning as i briefly explained above.

PS: Did you guys notice that the DICE rep Patric changed his necklace during the interview. In the beginning it was a bullet on a necklace and later on it was switched to a set of dog tags.

Last edited by Atrayo; 10th July 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Spammer - Post: 21201

Shocked

DLC would be the reason...... why let people make free maps to play when you can charge them for it

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Binary-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6768

it's shit tho, yes. The community owes much to mods - TF for example, which was awesome, and was unfortunately followed by TF2

Buttersoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Spammer - Post: 21201

Shocked

yep agree

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Binary-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 903

Mellow

On the other hand i remember operation flashpoints, later in its life it was praticly impossible to join a server because almost everybody was running their own mods with changed weapon stats and characteristics because they all knew best how the game should be played.
Old 11th July 2011, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
C4
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5343

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary-Ninja View Post
DLC would be the reason...... why let people make free maps to play when you can charge them for it
I think this is the main reason why there will be no mod tools.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused

I think custom map/mod tools enable most games to have a significantly longer shelf life.

That's not conducive to reselling you the latest dlc / new edition of the game next year.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4572

Fine

The story of Natural Selection is the complete opposite of this sad progression in games. Built as a mod originally for Half Life 1 it forged itself community support and love.

Today, Unknown Worlds, the incorporation of the modding team that brought this groundbreaking mod build Natural Selection 2. The game is almost entirely funded by pre-orders from the same community that they nurtured with their painstaking work on the original mod, which was possible due to the open mindedness of the leadership of Valve.

From the outset, Natural Selection 2 has come with a map editor and full modding capabilities. Clearly a reflection of the group giving back equally where they were given their opportunity to demonstrate their imagination, skill and dedication previously.

The big companies squeeze out their content, late and uninspired in some cases. Black ops, promised with Modding tools and coming up 12months since release and none to be seen... Actually they have released something finally.. Treyarch Quietly Launches Black Ops Mod Tools | GameFront quietly...

I think it is somewhat insulting to the modding community when they say that it would be too difficult for modders to create mods with FrostBite 2. More likely they do not want to release their internal tools to the public, keeping it closed and controlled. They do not want to be copied perhaps and maintain their advantages in regard to technology.

Of course there is also the short sighted assumption that mod tools would stop people from buying DLC.. Has that ever been proven? Does not the forging of the community support grow your player base and future sales? In the case of Natural Selection, yes....