What a fun thought to conjure up and to start contemplating So that's what a friend of mine and I did. For the next couple of hours, we tossed around ideas and came up with what we believed to be a machine of very high standards. The only rule being, it had to fit in a desktop case. The system was made up of the following;
ASUS Z8PE-D18 Motherboard - Dual Xeon, 4 PCIe x16, 18x DDR3,
2x Xeon X5660, 2.8GHz, 6-core
2x Thermalright MUX-120
3x ASUS 1536 GTX580 (The mobo won't let me utilise 4 )
3x Liquid Coolers + Blocks
18x 4G Corsair ECC Registered DDR3
16x 40G Corsair SSD 280/270MB/sec
HighPoint Rocket RAID controller
Silverstone Raven RV01
1x 1500W SilverStone PSU
1x 1200W Corsair PSU
Total Price: $14,126
Damn! And I was all geared up to go out and purchase it
But on a serious note, I started to thinking, even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend it on a computer, but I'd love to build the best machine I could, over a period of time. And so was born what I'm dubbing;
The Rage Quit Challenge
Each week I will put aside $25 for computer parts. (This basically means forgoing "bought lunch" for the period of the challenge ) At the start of each month, with $100 in hand (4 weeks x $25) I will endeavour to purchase a computer part to improve my gaming machine. (I realise $100 a month is not much, but it's part of the challenge without getting myself in trouble with SWMBO)
- I must have something new to install each month.
- I must install the new component/s at the start of each month.
- My computer must still be running at the start of each month after the install of new components.
- I AM allowed to further my spending by selling things (anything) on ebay. (I'm a hoarder, so this will work to my advantage )
- If I don't spend all the money from the previous month, I can add it on to the next month.
In my next post, I will give you the run down of where my machine currently sits. hmmm .... maybe I should give it a name I'll also give you some yard sticks I'll be using to show performance improvements. Let's see how long I can keep up my challenge Stayed tuned.
So tell me;
- What do you think of our dream machine?
- What would you change?
Posted 17th February 2011 at 12:22 AM by Schizo
Posted 3rd March 2011 at 06:57 PM by delushin
Posted 21st May 2011 at 10:41 AM by banga