Old 31st May 2011, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leevers

Default COD franchise destined to fail

'Call of Duty' Targets a Monthly Fee - WSJ.com

It appears they want to charge us a subscription fee to use their service.... please...

Old 31st May 2011, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 21709

Shocked

Yep a definite fail .......A while back i posted article on this pay to play scenario destined for the next COD title which this is but the thoughts back then it was the entire game being talked about .. now they are segregating the COD community based on a $$$ value people are willing to pay ... Activision wer making moves back then to do something like this ....

If that is the case BF3 is the winner before any of them hit the shelves

Oh the COD community is going off over this

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money

Last edited by Binary-Ninja; 31st May 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Binary-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 04:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy

Strange choice for sure, yet i am the person who paid for 6 months wow and rift subs a couple of weeks ago and have not put games on since.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 168

Breezy

Just a question from a ghost.....Anyone heard from those guys who split of from Infinity Ward to make respawn?? depends on how quickly they make their first game they might get a bit of support from p*$#ed off COD players.
Cumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 874

Cool

I was in the 'may get it at some stage' camp but this will put move me into the 'not a chance' group (or when its on sale for 1/2 price on Steam).

A killing machine cunningly disguised as an idiot.

----------------------------------------------
"It's OK, BattlePope is the natural nemesis of the Littlebird." - Rebroken
Battle Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Shocked

My original post back in Jan 6th 2011

Quote:
This is the video report from Guns 4 Hire about the COD subscription service posted Nov 2010 ..

and the original article i mentioned from Industry Gamers back Nov 2010

Online Subscription Service for Call of Duty Coming Next Year?

Online Subscription Service for Call of Duty Coming Next Year? - IndustryGamers

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter has been talking about publishers, specifically Activision, launching online subscription services to better monetize the vast amounts of online play taking place these days. While Pachter thought it would happen by the end of the year, he's now backtracked on that, suggesting it will happen at some point in 2011 instead. Consequently, Wedbush has removed the Activision Blizzard stock from its Best Ideas List.
"We are removing Activision from the BIL as we believe that the introduction of online subscription services for Call of Duty will take several more months to materialize (once again, the company gave no indication that a subscription plan is in the works)," Pachter noted.
"We expect Activision to announce plans to monetize multiplayer online some time in 2011, and expect greater visibility into the release schedule throughout the year. When we have greater visibility, we think we will be able to identify positive catalysts, and we fully expect to add Activision back to our Best Ideas List at that time."
Whenever Activision or another publisher eventually does introduce extra subscription fees, they will have to tread carefully and offer a ton of value on top of the online gameplay, as many players are already paying $60 a year for Xbox Live.
Update: Pachter has again noted that investors are eagerly awaiting Activision's move to monetize online in Call of Duty and in future Blizzard titles. He also raised his sales forecast for Black Ops. Read the full story here.

If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money
Old 1st June 2011, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7184

Buzzed

I LOL'd at this part " hyper-realistic combat-simulation game."

TOG - You can check out any time you like, But.... you can never leave!
Mecha-Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 5

Ultimately, years to come just about everything will be subscription based, currently we are just in the process of it.

Already in the Call of Duty series, since our clan is based on. The more Call of Duty is released, the more our clan disappears, Actually we are pretty much all gone. Except friends just hanging out online.

With Call of Duty: Elite, the FAQ being released says there is a free to play version, so the next release we have an option to do these: play for free, buy the map packs and then the ultimate Premium Membership—all map packs are in it etc. Plus more. There are videos or game based series videos that I suspect will only be accessible via Premium Membership.

As for me. I think Black Ops is the last game I'll ever be purchasing.. but then.. who knows...
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7495

Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Ultimately, years to come just about everything will be subscription based, currently we are just in the process of it.
I guess it depends on how savage the loss in sales are with MW3. If the community pushes back and refuses to buy a title that has a subscription base component and their sales are down on Black Ops, would take a brave/greedy exec to try that again any time soon.

Subscription based gaming takes away funds I would use to buy more games and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Shocked

As Purg says they will lose a lot of the player base = sales because of how they are treating customers while BF3 will be gaining ... But it is more the fact if we let them do it now even if only a little the next game will be more subscription based as the trend was set in MW3 / BO with paid for content ...

They have been extorting the Xbox community via DLC for years now so they think they can get the same from the PC users , the only way they wont is by not falling for their so called ELITE service

Last edited by Binary-Ninja; 8th June 2011 at 11:06 AM.