Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leevers

Default Activision Blizzard warn Sony

http://www.3fl.net.au/index.php?itemid=761

In what is a rather interesting shot across the bow at Sony, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has warned that they may stop releasing games for the Playstation 3 and PSP platforms.

On what is probably a pretty big slap in the face to Sony, Kotick had the following comment to make on the issue:

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform.."

Kotick goes on to cite that the Playstation 3 is a more expensive platform to develop for (with the competition being the 360, Wii and PC), and that Activision have already paid Sony somewhere in the realms of $US500 million in royalties so far for titles they have shipped. So it'll be interesting to see how Sony react, given that Activision Blizzard are one of the biggest game publishing/development companies out there, so its something they do need to take seriously.

The momentum of Microsoft's Xbox 360 from the hardcore console gamers market is rather unassailable currently, and with the Nintendo Wii dominating the casual/family gaming market, there isn't much room for the Playstation 3 at the moment given its a much more expensive console to purchase. Sales being made off the back of the PS3 being the "cheapest" Blu-Ray player are likely to vanish if they haven't already, with a number of manufacturers having standalone Blu-Ray players at pricepoints that make them far cheaper than picking up a PS3 now.

With the current global economic conditions, many people are looking for cheap stay at home entertainment and the Playstation 3 really wouldn't be high on the shopping list with its current $700 price tag. It'll be interesting to see if Sony reacts in a positive manner.

Old 23rd June 2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Interesting article Leevers, thanks.

Statements like these by game publishers are thought provoking ... if only to figure out what they are trying to achieve.

SONY will drop their price point eventually, but I don't think the price tag is the only thing keeping SONY from reclaiming market share.

Even though I lean more towards the XBOX for my gaming, I am the first one to say that I believe the PS3 is a superior piece of hardware.

The problem (IMHO) is that SONY are yet to have the "killer must have" exclusive title and they are only now starting to pick up on what drives today's gamers. (Adding of the trophy system, etc.)

Most gaming to day is online, multi-player and based heavily on communication (text, voice and video). SONY may have the better hardware, but their services in this department are woeful compared to XBOX live and PC gaming services.

I for one was eager for titles like KILLZONE 2, Resistance 2 and SOCOM with great hopes for these games showing off what the PS3 was able to do.

In all cases the communication was still bad, joining games difficult at times (almost impossible with SOCOM most of the time), online gaming was not as polished as XBOX's offerings and the game play did not appeal to the masses.

KILLZONE 2 got the later very wrong, with casual to intermediate players screaming for a change to the way the controls reacted / felt, only to be met with a flat out "get stuffed ... this is the way we want the game to play" by the developer.

I applaud there desire to stick to a concept / ideal, but SONY really needed this title to take off and be embraced by all gamers ... not just hardcore fans.

KILLZONE 2 should have been SONY's Halo. If it played as good as it looked, it could well have been.

Only time will tell if SONY will get their killer title, but E3 did not show any real contenders as far as I could tell. I hope I am very wrong and the big blue gets its self back in the game!
Old 23rd June 2009, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2096

Confused

eh, it's just an idle threat. Despite being released a year after the 360, the PS3 is about 7 mill units behind (23 mill to 360's 30 mill) which really isn't much, especially considering the price. Plus Activision's games sell really well on PS3, so if they do drop PS3 support I think it would hurt them more than Sony.

And there's hardly any doubt the PS3 will see a price drop soon, the only thing people are wondering is if the rumours of a PS3 slim are true or not.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry

Evidently sales have been increaseg very well for the PS3 in Japan with the release of FF7 on blue ray with a demo for FFXIII At this stage it is beleived that FF will be exclusive in japan for PS3 and all platforms everywhere else..albeit delayed timewise

In one sense you could say Sony missed the mark. The PS3 is filled with very cool technology and apps. This is good for the techno geeks like me but...
Gamers pretty much just want cool games to play and microsft was htere first

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 993

The high price tag still puts me off (I own a 360 and wii already).
Not convinced about the ps3 yet.
(probably would be saying the same about the 360 if I got the ps3 first, as I paid the elite price tag anyway)

aka skotalot

MatureCGamer or sometimes smacktardnoob - a second xbox live account - the whore console everyone uses.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

If you don't own, and are looking to get, a bluray player the PS3 is worth the dollars.

Aside from the gaming and other features, the Bluray player is software driven and is constantly upgraded. It is one of those rare times when the movie player in a console can keep pace with stand alone players.

Man have I been talking up the PS3 lately ... I wonder if Click has been slipping things in my drink?
Old 1st July 2009, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

Fine

@Pure Mongrel

There's no doubt Sony's still trying to get itself together to compete on the same level as the Xbox360's online features. But they are improving things... slowly...

Regarding Killzone 2 though, the v1.27 patch released a few weeks ago included a new control mode called "high precision mode". This was basically a fix for all the people who were complaining about Killzone 2's controls.

I didn't have anything good to say about the controls when I first started playing it, but after installing v1.27 and activating the new mode (it's turned off by default for existing saved games), something odd happened. I actually started enjoying playing the game. You could say I started fighting the Helghast, instead of fighting the controls.

If the controls put you off by Killzone 2 before, now would be a good time to try it out again.
YellowMegaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2096

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMegaMan View Post

Regarding Killzone 2 though, the v1.27 patch released a few weeks ago included a new control mode called "high precision mode". This was basically a fix for all the people who were complaining about Killzone 2's controls.

Yeah, great update. I hadn't touched it in months because I hated the controls, then a fortnight after I've traded it in they do that
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMegaMan View Post
@Pure Mongrel

There's no doubt Sony's still trying to get itself together to compete on the same level as the Xbox360's online features. But they are improving things... slowly...

I didn't have anything good to say about the controls when I first started playing it, but after installing v1.27 and activating the new mode (it's turned off by default for existing saved games), something odd happened. I actually started enjoying playing the game. You could say I started fighting the Helghast, instead of fighting the controls.

If the controls put you off by Killzone 2 before, now would be a good time to try it out again.
Thanks for the update info mate. I had almost put this game in the trade in pile. Now I am eager to try it again.

+1
Old 21st July 2009, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 3

Default Activision Blizzard warn Sony

Electronic Arts has fired out a warning shot to new publishing goliath Activision Blizzard – warn the Vivendi-owned giant that it will not give up its dominance of the market without a fight.

Vivendi and Activision announced its new ‘merger’ on Sunday, which sees the French publisher take 52 per cent control of its former rival

But defiant EA UK boss Keith Ramsdale said that, if anything, the new competition could spur the mega-publisher onto greater success than ever before.

He told MCV: "We wish them good luck and look forward to the competition. We believe that EA still has the industry's strongest portfolio of game franchises."

"We're always at our best when we have a clearly defined competitor."
Nuclar2009 is offline   Reply With Quote