Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th February 2010, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Question Console Food?

In this busy world we "older gamers" have less and less time to play.

Between work, wives / husbands, children, chores around the house and a million other things that can suck up your time fast, we need to get creative when it comes to multi-tasking and time management.

So how about console friendly food? If we can eat and play at the same time, that would be a bonus right?

Now I am not talking about a packet of chips, or other fast food ... after all as you get "more mature" (LOL like anyone could accuse me of being that ) you have to be careful about the kinds of food you consume.

So are there any budding chefs out there who have a gaming friendly recipe they would like to share?

Old 8th February 2010, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

yep, superdrys, if that's sold out, white stag =]

oh wait.... real food..... nachos? :P

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Average - Post: 206

Fine

If I played a game through a meal my wife would kill me, so I have no experience with this and cannot help you. Sorry!
Blazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Yeah so would mine, but every once in a while she has a meeting or is out of town so I have to maximise that time
Old 9th February 2010, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

problem is... you need food that dont require cutlery or a proper table.... also easy and fast to eat cuz you'd only have time to take a bite when waiting for the respawn :P
i find burritoes are just about the most complex food i've ever had whilst gaming...
bangers and mash would prolly work too..... i think.....

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Fruit Smoothies and a long straw!
Old 9th February 2010, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

Fine

Anything you can eat with chopsticks isn't too bad. You still have to use at least one hand though.

How about soup using a beer hat?
Old 9th February 2010, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Administrator
Ryo
Retired Administrator
Ace - Post: 7823

My croc-pot and BBQ pit are my friends.

Its hard to screw up BBQ for me nowadays and its fun, I go back and forth between the pit and the game/race/video game.

And it always gets brownie points not just with the family but with the neighbors

I'm a charcoal guy, use an old Weber. Coals in a lighting cylinder thingie, dump em when white on one side of the grill for a two zone fire, slap in some (soaked) mesquite chips, plop on meat, remove meat, receive veneration as awesome from everyone.

The croc-pot is awesome for psuedo gumbos. Fry up a pound of spicy link sausage real slow, get as much grease out as you can. Fry up a pound of chicken breast, shred it. Cube a couple of onions, some green onions, slap all that in the pot, cover with water that you boil from the empty pan you fried the meat up in. Add a couple bay leaves or so and some zataran's cajun seasoning and the like.

No need for a proper roux in these lickety split gumbo/stews. Just cook that slow (six hours or so is what I do, more usually), add in a couple of chicken boullion cubes and whatever else suits your fancy to darken the broth. Make up some rice of some kind, I steam white rice, serve your gumbo over the rice.

Exaggerate by miles how much thought went into the "hmm, that might be good in it" portion of the cooking. They all think you are a genius and the whole schabang takes like 20 minutes to prepare. Plus it makes the house smell nice all day and raises their anticipation every time they come into the house. Make em wait till they are good and hungry and you increase the chance that whatever you thew into the pot will be seen as The Best Possible Ingredients Imaginable(tm).

I seriously get all kinds of "Kiss the Cook" aprons and whatnot from all my extended family and I don't do much more than that above. Only thing is you get volunteered to do the large get togethers, which is a pain. Trick of that is to always pawn off the cleaning part of it and make them supply you with beer, then its actually kind of fun to captain the BBQ pit and pretend you know secrets to it.

And never, ever tell them you don't

Add me on Facebook
Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 444

Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio3 View Post
bangers and mash would prolly work too..... i think.....
It does, thats what i had while playing games last night, very easy to eat, scoop the mash up with the sausage on a fork and you dont even get greasy fingers on your control (thats one thing you didnt mention Mongrel, something that doesnt make your control greasy)
Old 9th February 2010, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Good point X

Ryo I am just in the process of renovating my house and part of it is an outdoor kitchen. I am a big fan of my charcoal smoker and BBQ and I want to give them a better home

As I type this I have two chickens (with cranberry stuffing) smoking. (Scratches is coming to pick up one on his way home for work ... sorry X).

I think ribs are on order this weekend

I am always looking for new recipes