The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Console Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/)
-   -   Troubling BFBC2 children (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/295694-troubling-bfbc2-children.html)

Spunkmeyer 26th April 2010 02:55 AM

Troubling BFBC2 children

Yesterday I had an unsettling squad experience playing BC2.

I joined a game and was put into a squad with three children. Now by "children" I don't mean teens or even tweens, when I asked how old they were I got these responses: ten,eight, and seven. I don't have children so I have absolutely no right to discuss parenting, but come on... SEVEN?!?:eek: BC2 is very violent (there's a surprise) and has some pretty foul language built into the game, not including what you occasionally hear over chat. I guess that "Mature" rating really means nothing to some people.

I concede that the kids may have been temporarily unsupervised and merely gotten into dad's video game stash, but these kids were good at the game (which is disturbing on a wholly different level) and had obviously played many times previously.

Good news is this: We won the round and we were the best squad... go figure.:D

King_Rocket 26th April 2010 03:13 AM

Sadly this is becoming more and more common.

FunkyJ 26th April 2010 12:06 PM

It's been that way since original xbox.

I remember playing Mech Assault against two kids aged 10 and 8.

Their dad was home with them, but he wasn't supervising them.

Ratings are a suggestion. Even if backed by law, it's still just a recommendation and is more to make governments and adults feel better about it all.

Mecha-Wombat 27th April 2010 04:59 AM

I know of some parents who have brought there 5 and 8 year olds GTA4

games like this should not be in the hands of kids

but I do play BC2 with my son on my lap but I will always play a sniper role and not get involved in close quarters when I do

ColdCamV 27th April 2010 08:55 AM

Its normally the whole"..kid sees..kid wants..parents get for kid so he will be quiet"..and in some cases it can also be an older brother who gets it and lets his younger brother play..or he plays it when his older brother is at work.

Either way as King_Rocket has said..its becoming more and more common nowadays and theirs not really much we can do about it.

Cadder 27th April 2010 01:38 PM

My little guy is 4.
He proudly takes on the role of attorney-general in our house.
This really wasn't that hard, since he asked me the question directly; "What games can kids play and what ones are for grownups?"
So, since he can't read yet, I've taught him that if there's a game he likes the look of, to look for "what colour the game is". And he knows to look for the rating sticker.
If it's Green, (G) he can play. If it's yellow (PG), he can probably play, but he's gotta ask if it's OK.
If it's Blue or Red, then no. He's simply not allowed to play it, and neither are his siblings. The only exception is Burnout Paradise. It has an M rating, but since there are no "people" in it, there's no danger (imho) of him seeing anything violent enough to cause him permanent harm.

FWIW, my 15yo rejoiced that he was now "old enough" to play games like GTA that have an MA rating. (and since he now lives with his mother, there's not much I could do to prevent it, but that's a whole other story). Up until then, I didn't even permit him to watch me play, because of the adult content.
My other kids have sat and watched me play the likes of MAG, but I usually play :
(a) after their bedtime, and
(b) with headphones on so they can't hear the language

Back on topic: I was in a game of MAG a few weeks ago, same story. The squad leader was 12. He was OK as far as playing and K/DR goes, but he had no grasp of tactics or what objectives to set as FRAGO.
I was also in a MAG game with a squad of other TOGgers, and we ended up with a kid in the squad... until he had to drop out mid-game to go and have his dinner, or do chores or something. :p

Ancient_One 27th April 2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadder (Post 2767932)
(b) with headphones on so they can't hear the language

Are you talking about colourfull language to express one's self verbally when you take one for the team.

"Where's my f-cking support." :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadder (Post 2767932)
Back on topic: I was in a game of MAG a few weeks ago, same story. The squad leader was 12. He was OK as far as playing and K/DR goes, but he had no grasp of tactics or what objectives to set as FRAGO.
I was also in a MAG game with a squad of other TOGgers, and we ended up with a kid in the squad... until he had to drop out mid-game to go and have his dinner, or do chores or something. :p

Kids. No scense off priority in life. Gaming comes first, allways. Buy chips, softdrink what ever it takes to stay in front off that game and support your team mates. :twisted:

mindspat 30th April 2010 05:59 AM

Those parents should be fined, incarcerated and sterlized. Not in any particular order.

Fall-Of-Enosis 7th May 2010 02:07 PM

I'm with Cadder, on this one.

My boy is 6 (7 in october).

And he doesn't even WATCH me play games.

They are WAY too violent for him.

However we have a heck of a time playing the remake of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Remake on XBOX. ;)

RMBear 7th May 2010 03:12 PM

So really what happened was they carried you for the round... :P

No way are my kids playing at that age (they walk in now and are told to leave the room - daddy is shooting people... :P ). It's probably more that they'd destroy my scores. :(