Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th May 2010, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 11

Bored
Default The Red Ring but I got my Money's Worth.

Just recently My old Xbox 360 did the RRD, Now here is the interesting part It lasted me from 12/2007 and died on me last week on Mon. I would say I got my money worth out of it. so I went and bought a new one an arcade version and stuck my 60 Gig HD in it and works Like a charm. now the newer systems are said to be better improved with the Jasper chipset. But we will see!
BonzaiLong42071 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th May 2010, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

That's a real good run out of an XBOX from that build!

Welcome to the Console Division
Old 14th May 2010, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bored

Yeah my bro was really surprised about it when I told him....lol he was like wow thats amazing. I was actually shocked myself.

Old 14th May 2010, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

What is the cause of the RRD. Is it a failure of the chipsets based on overheating.? Being bumped?

I don't know much about XBOX's as I sold my first one a few months after getting it for free.
Old 14th May 2010, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 720

I guess I've been lucky then, I've had mine since first release and I haven't had a single problem with it. And it's copped a lot of use as well. On the other hand my PS3 which has hardly been used has already gone through one Bluray laser.
Old 14th May 2010, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bored
Default The Red Ring But I Got my Money's Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
What is the cause of the RRD. Is it a failure of the chipsets based on overheating.? Being bumped?

I don't know much about XBOX's as I sold my first one a few months after getting it for free.
Well as it was explained by my brother who specializes in this kind of field and keeps up with everything that is put on the Market by Microsoft. He told me that when the system was designed The system had a 50 to 80% chance of causing the system to come to an error failure due to the failure of the chipsets based on overheating is caused of leaving the system on and constantly playing it by The disc and not installing the game on to the Hard Drive. now the new system's are suppose to be better improved and have a better chip set better known as the jasper chipset system.

Old 15th May 2010, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Thanks BonzaiLong42071 for that insite.

As a PS3 owner our games are predominently install to HDD prior to play so I wasn't aware that this was not the case with 360.

Good to hear they have sorted it all out.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 13

Amazed

Wow.
I would def say that you are one lucky Xbox owner. I'm on my 4th unit as of now.
You are right. The best thing is to install a game to the HD if you know you will be playing it often.
I have seen do it yourself fixes for the older xbox's. but once you open it you will void the warranty. Sorry I cannot provide a link. I know it involves putting pennies under some post inside the xbox to provide more room.The heat sink and board are to close and excessive heat will warp the board. Please excuse my no knowledge of terms here.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bored

Your quite Welcome Ancient_one. as of right now, I am pretty happy with the new xbox i have now. runs like a charm.so if anyone interested your welcome to add me on xbox live BonzaiLong42071 is my Gamer tag

Last edited by BonzaiLong42071; 18th May 2010 at 02:16 AM.