TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

View Poll Results: How would you like Handheld Gaming devices be supported in the Console Consortium?
Option 1 12 70.59%
Option 2 1 5.88%
Option 3 3 17.65%
Option 4 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st May 2010, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Default Mobile hand held game devices

It would appear that we are guilty of not giving Handheld and Mobile Devices enough love here in the Console Division.

Well we firmly believe that it's not the size of a persons game device that is important, but how much it gets played with and where!

Obviously there are a good number of TOGers who play with their game devices,with great vigor while out and about!

Therefore, as a responsible gaming Division, we are looking at ways of providing a better community for those that of that play with their gaming devices in such a manor.

So that we can best look after your "out and about" gaming needs, please select one of the following options in our poll and feel free to leave your thoughts and comments on the matter.

Option 1: The Nintendo and SONY handhelds, as well as other mobile gaming devices should be given focus as one group.

Option 2: The Nintendo and SONY handhelds are different from devices such as the iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices so there should be two separate groups of focus.

Option 3: The Nintendo handheld is part of the Wii group and the SONY handheld is part of the PS3 group so they already have a focus. Devices like the iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices need there own group though.

Option 4: The Nintendo handheld is part of the Wii group and the SONY handheld is part of the PS3 group so they already have a focus. Devices like the iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices have no place in the Console Division.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 31st May 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st May 2010, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 8944

Breezy

Only a few PSP/DS posts have occurred over the time of the Division so I would be inclined to group them with iPad and iPhone in a single section until such time as we see an increase which might see a split later on.

It will give people a specific section to go, to discuss hardware and games for all hand helds types.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1132

I think the handhelds are still "consoles", and as such don't really require their own group. You have the option for PSP, Wii, XBOX and PS3 when posting a new thread. So why not just add "DS/DSi" & "Mobile" in there???

The console division has been simplified recently, and I thik it was the right move.

In regards to iPad/iPhone, the Lab gets most of those queries.

jatcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Does the Lab cover the games and Applications for the iPhone / iPad or just the hardware?
Old 1st June 2010, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Lab doesn't cover it mate. We should stake a claim in the Lounge and the Lab to get people over to our Division.

We might like to get the extra section up and running soonish but at least we could post the link to this thread to see how people feel about us taking on the hand helds.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5038

I play DS lite, PSP and mobile Symbian games, so a new Handheld section (classing phone apps as handheld) would be perfect and I would contribute often to the discussion.

Unfortunately I have viewed TOG as having little handheld focus to this point so have not introduced new discussions. If the section exists then you may see a flood of interest. There are a lot of closet handheld gamers in TOG.

BTW Puzzle Quest Galactrix on DS is a classic strategy game !!

I will also be interested in Discussions about the GP2X Wiz that some TOG players own
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=e...ed=0CEEQsAQwAw

Also anything about classic handhelds.... like dual screen Donkeykong

Last edited by HenriDeacon; 1st June 2010 at 08:01 PM.
HenriDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

The idea with this poll is to see if we need a "Mobile Gaming" Squad Leader. We don't want to create a whole new section, just see if you guys want to include mobile devices such as the DS, iPhone, etc in to the console division.

If we do want such a person, than it would be treated like the other consoles - news updates, game discussions, hardware discussions and (where possible) organizing TOG based multi player mobile games.

A_1, if we are going to stake a claim to these devices ... we will send the new squad leader over with a flag flying high
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

I'm not convinced that we should not have a separate section within the console division for these hand helds. This could get bigger then Ben Hur if not set up correctly from the start. Things could get messy.

Also we could see a sudden increase in posts on the existing Games/Hardware sections which although not a bad thing could put people of a little. To much to trawl through.

A separate Hand Held section might be a better option with all Hardware and Game discussions in the one location or we set up two more sections, Hand Held Games and Hand Held Hardware.

We could run another poll in unison with our existing poll in the lounge or in here:

1. Should Hand Held devices have a separate section for gaming and hardware discussions?

2. Yes use existing Console Division Games and Hardware threads

3. Yes a single Thread in the Console Division

4. Yes two threads Hand Held Hardware and Hand Held Games in the Console Division

5. No not necessary people can post in the Lounge or Laboratory sections.

I agree with Henri that their is a need we just have to step up to the plate and bring some focus onto Hand Helds bringing them it into the fold.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 2nd June 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Queen of the Abyss
Ace - Post: 7973

When I posted my question about handhelds it was simply because I wasn't quite sure where to go. I'm wondering if there are other togger's like me who just haven't been as vocal (I tend to talk alot).

The amount of adults I see with handhelds is rather amusing...especially when you look at the age group. Your 20ish are all running around with iphones...genx is attatched to a ds or psp. I mainly use my ds for puzzle games but, since I've dragged myself away from mmo's I seem to be using it more.

A seperate section would keep them apart from all the 'big boys' who think hand-helds are for kids (don't know what you're missing!) and would cut down on confusion maybe.....*shrug* Just...throwing things around to see where they land.

thank you Birko for the sig
Ebonytears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Kiz
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2977

Devilish

i would say the DS is better with the wii and psp with ps3.. but that would be if it was like it was before.. eg, nintendo and sony forrums, would prefer them with there own kind, but its what the majority wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
I play DS lite, PSP and mobile Symbian games, so a new Handheld section (classing phone apps as handheld) would be perfect and I would contribute often to the discussion.

Unfortunately I have viewed TOG as having little handheld focus to this point so have not introduced new discussions. If the section exists then you may see a flood of interest. There are a lot of closet handheld gamers in TOG.

BTW Puzzle Quest Galactrix on DS is a classic strategy game !!

I will also be interested in Discussions about the GP2X Wiz that some TOG players own
gp2x wiz - Google Search

Also anything about classic handhelds.... like dual screen Donkeykong
i also love puzzle quest have it for pc and ds
What Symbian games do you play? been looking for ones for my phone

Last edited by Kiz; 3rd June 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Kiz is offline   Reply With Quote