The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Console Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/)
-   -   E3 2010 MS Press Confrence - Live (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/303606-e3-2010-ms-press-confrence-live.html)

Drac 15th June 2010 04:37 AM

E3 2010 MS Press Confrence - Live

E3 2010 - Live Video - IGN Live at E3

or

The Source For Video Game Media

Just started. They're currently demoing COD Black Ops with helicopter vehicle combat in single player.

I'm on the TOG Teamspeak 3 server in the Lounge channel while I watch the live streams.

Bawheidbob 15th June 2010 05:32 AM

Got beyond bored when they started to bring out Wii Sports. I already have movies, music, sports on my sky box i do not need any of this rubbish.

Drac 15th June 2010 06:12 AM

Sadly, It didn't get any better.

An exclusive fitness game by Ubisoft and a Dance game by Harmonix. The Dance game might be popular, clearly targeted at teens.

Turn 10 showed some Forza with Kinect, but it was just turning the wheel and looking into corners, they didn't actually show how you accelerate or break, that just seemed to be on autopilot.

Then there was the Starwars game "demo" which was just a movie, no one actually playing. Like all the other Natal stuff, it all looked very stiff and awkward. There was no free roaming, it was like an on rails shooter where you'd move from one group of stuff to hack up to the next. The Achilles Heel of Kinect rearing it's ugly head more than ever in the action-adventure genre, you have no way to "move" an avatar around an environment as their movement is mapped to you, standing still, not moving more than 1 or 2 steps.

So, Kinect seems to be limited to reaction games where you stand still and wait for stuff to happen and you move in reaction to it. I was expecting some interesting strategy or deep/open choice based game demos but all they had was fluff.

I have a feeling Sony are going to slaughter them on the hardcore motion game front.

The interesting stuff was all up front, 4 player co-op in Gears of War 3 and space flight combat in Halo Reach, but that was about the only takeaway for the non-casual gamer.

I really liked their "show don't tell" approach, if only they had something interesting to show.

Bawheidbob 15th June 2010 06:15 AM

Ok so if some person walked up to me and gave me a slim i would thank them very much and take one but i am not going to get one as i have a elite already.

Shame there was 0 pc stuff also.

Drac 15th June 2010 06:57 AM

There was no PC stuff from Microsoft last time either. The PC goodies at E3 come from the Ubisoft and EA press events later in the show, and from the news sites working doing the rounds visiting the smaller booths.

Microsoft get bugger all money from games on Windows, but with Xbox they control the platform end to end so it makes them a fortune. The only reason MS keep up their efforts with Direct X on Windows is because, well, if they didn't then Open GL would dominate and then what's to stop developers building games for Mac of Linux machines. Direct X keeps developers happy and it keeps gamers on Windows, that's all MS care about in terms of PC gaming.

If Microsoft had taken charge of digital distribution/sales of games like Valve has through Steam then PC's would defiantly get a look in during their major Press Conference, but it seem they're content to concede that war.

Chief 15th June 2010 07:22 AM

So disappointing. A bunch of sequels which show no major improvements (though I'm sure the fans will be happy) and some motion control tech that shows no real use for traditional games (though that could be a good thing).

But I have to admit that dancing game looked a bit fun, like an improved DDR :oops: