Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th March 2011, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy
Default Hope none of you went to this site!

SONY has just won the right to access the IP address logs of eveyone that visted the site of George Hotzís website from January of 2009 to the present.

What they will do with this info is supposedly just to prove a demographic of usage, but I wonder if SONY will use the info to ban PS3's found using those same addresses?

Only time will tell I guess.

Judge Lets Sony Unmask Visitors to PS3-Jailbreaking Site | Threat Level | Wired.com
Judge allows Sony to see IPs of those visiting PS3 jailbreak site

Old 12th March 2011, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1772

Demographics my arse, they are perusing it for scare tactics because they are a bully corporation and don't want you to have reasonable control over your own console!

I wont write them down but I have a number of four letter words on the tip of my tongue ready to describe sony over this incident.
ps.. and the judge that allowed their petition!

Last edited by Cindax; 12th March 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Cindax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

Mellow

One of the big reasons i play on the console is because the system is closed and tamper proof.
This means i don't have to worry about cockroaches screwing up my game with hacks and cheats, online pc gaming is practically destroyed by these asshats.
And along comes this punk that ****s it all up with his bullshit reason to run homebrew.
Everybody knows that 99.99% of the people use it to pirate games and cheat online.
Luckily Sony has fixed the hack for the moment, i realy hope that punk goes to jail.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2173

Confused

Sony haven't fixed anything. The latest firmware served no purpose but to stop the CFW people from going online but they found a way around that within a day. At the moment all they have to do is install a single package and voila, back online with 3.55 CFW.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhammer View Post
One of the big reasons i play on the console is because the system is closed and tamper proof.
This means i don't have to worry about cockroaches screwing up my game with hacks and cheats, online pc gaming is practically destroyed by these asshats.
And along comes this punk that ****s it all up with his bullshit reason to run homebrew.
Everybody knows that 99.99% of the people use it to pirate games and cheat online.
Luckily Sony has fixed the hack for the moment, i realy hope that punk goes to jail.
I know what you mean DH and I own a console for similar reasons but I am curious why you can blame the guy the cracked the console?

As I am seeing the situation, he has modified something that he owns and shown other people how to do it and to the best of my knowledge, showing someone how to do something is not illegal nor is doing it to something that you own, even if it is inherently an illegal act.

Its like knowing how to build a bomb/gun or owning drug use/trade equipment, these things are not illegal in their own right and neither should hacking a console be any different imo.
Old 12th March 2011, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mellow

Yes, you own the console its yours to do with what you please.
You can make a skateboard of it and Sony doesn't care.

But you DO NOT own the software on it, its al written in the legal information that no one bothers to read and just accepts.
So if you hack the software and start spreading it to facilitate pirating and cheating then you have a big problem with the law.
Old 12th March 2011, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhammer View Post
But you DO NOT own the software on it, its al written in the legal information that no one bothers to read and just accepts.
Agreed,
I figure where our opinion differs is in the moral application of the End User License Agreement. Im in the camp that consideres breaking the EULA is not the same as breaking a law and I'm perfectly willing to void warranties or be banned from the playstation network if I chose to mod a PS but I also 'know' that there is no law (or should not be) that says I cant modify my console in any way I choose.

For the record I realise the law is changing to reflect the corporate agenda and modding a console is (becoming) illegal however I strongly oppose this agenda, hence my opinions

Its interesting to hear others thoughts on the subject and im glad your sharing your opinions.

FYI: A large part of the reason I am so offended by this legal action and the Judge signing of on this, is the gross violation of civil liberty for anyone who viewed the sites in question..
a) Visiting this site or investigating the process involved and choosing to jailbreak your console are very different things and sony has no rights to know who chose to look.
b) Criminals and Sex offenders have their privacy more rigorously protected from discovery than the people who are being identified by this action.

Last edited by Cindax; 13th March 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12th March 2011, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2429

Tired

Good Point Cindax . Maybe they should look at making the games disks more copy proof and leave the console alone .
HanmaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 9025

Lurking

Great conversation guys, just please make sure we donot open the discussion of how and where to find this type of software...

cheers

squiz

looking after the peeps in TWAU
Squiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mellow

I agree the requests for all IP adresses is way over the top and shoulden't be allowed.
But i relate to the zeal at wich Sony hunts down these punks.

As you may probably know but gaming is in dire straits.
The general consensus is that if you don't belong to the big five you are not making any money.
On the other hand they see facebook games like farmville making tons of money with 72 million acounts.
So the big company's are wondering why bother investing millions into a triple A title when you can make a simple browser game and cash in.
If pirating on the console becomes as big of a problem as it is on the PC then its literally game over.