Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9036

Breezy
Default Anonymous' Operation:Sony

Anonymous' Operation:Sony

Well people I'm not impressed. So these hackers who claim to be representing PS3 owners everywhere have decided to launch an attack on Sony to try and basically hold Sony to ransom because of a legal issue. "Who owns the PS3."

What they have done is illegal and if anything, has harmed their supporters the very people they claim to represent.

I'm just glad I'm playing single player games at present but I feel for all those people who were expecting to play multiplayer games this extra long weekend in Australia.

Fingers crossed Sony find a way to stop these vicious attacks.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 23rd April 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Old 23rd April 2011, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2831

Amused

"The question here centers on ownership. Sony says a PS3 owner cannot crack open and modify the gaming systems, as the hardware is only licensed and therefore remains its property. Many people view this stance as both ethically and morally wrong, but the law is on Sony’s side, for the most part... at least for now."

The above quote is from AO link. Now this I aggre with, so when my PS3 dies is sony going to replace it for me, considering I only bought the licence. Not a chance in hell.
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1742

I think your jumping to conclusions AO, various sources say Anon is not doing anything and Sony itself says it is doing maintenance or the network is suspended.

Last edited by Cindax; 23rd April 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 41

Quote from theEU Playstation Blog:

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.

Update On PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services – PlayStation.Blog.Europe
Old 23rd April 2011, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
World of Warcraft
Deadly - Post: 1742

Good find Grimm, maybe AO is right and it was Anon.. time will tell what happened I guess.

Pretty shitty if it is Anon causing the problems!
Old 23rd April 2011, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgal1 View Post
"The question here centers on ownership. Sony says a PS3 owner cannot crack open and modify the gaming systems, as the hardware is only licensed and therefore remains its property. Many people view this stance as both ethically and morally wrong, but the law is on Sony’s side, for the most part... at least for now."
Okay lets look at it another way. Sony have done this to:
1. stop pirating
2. allow the system to maintain a standard OS so as to not cause issues on the PSN network.
3. allow Sony to provide updates to the firmware.

My thoughts:
Sony has provided us with firmware updates which by all accounts has improved the machines capabilities. This is something which I have admired and think good on them for doing it. By all accounts they don't have to do this as they sold you the machine to use. If you don't like what they are doing then their is an alternative machine you can turn to.

Yes they have removed a few things to stop people from having the ability to hack into the system. I think this also is a good thing.

If they had just sold us a machine and said their you go. What would your feelings have been if you never got firmware updates and the full potential of this machine was never known but had watched say XBOX make changes to their machines.

Would you have remained loyal to the PS3.
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

I heard the local outages are due to steam and portal 2. Nice to try and shift the blame though.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
Old 24th April 2011, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2831

Amused

All good points AO.

However they have not stopped pirating, just brought more attenion to it, which will increase it use. I personnaly would not be bothered with moding or pirating games as it would kill my bandwith allocation. However they have now let everyone know you can do it.

1. When I buy a product I feel that it is mine to play with as I want.
2. If Sony do not keep there console up to date and competive with the other consoles, I would switch. So for them to keep there market it is in there best intrest to update and provide a quality product.
3. As I pointed out before " The question here centers on ownership. Sony says a PS3 owner cannot crack open and modify the gaming systems, as the hardware is only licensed and therefore remains its property" Thats one damm expensive license to not own your machine? Considering there policy on fixing them when they break.

To be honest I have not updated my rig since I bought it as I only play single player games and it is mostly used for streaming and blueray. You can get the firmware updates for the blueray player anyware.

When people prortest against somthing, people are going to affected. I feel in this case sony dont stand a chance and they are going to have loosen up on some of the legislation.

Last edited by urgal1; 24th April 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Quote from theEU Playstation Blog:

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.

Update On PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services – PlayStation.Blog.Europe
Fragland.net also posted the same reasons today and I would believe that over the so called Steam and Portal argument.
Old 24th April 2011, 03:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3198

Psychedelic

Ive always just been happy to play games on my PS3 the way sony has meant them to be played, admittedly i only use my PS3 for blu-rays and games that i cant get on the PC but the PS3 is sonys invention so let them run it the way they want to.
Closed Thread