Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th April 2011, 11:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 908

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
I only use a card with a $500 limit just in case something like this happens.
I have an limit of 1000 , but lets look at this in perspective.
There are from what we are told 70 million psn accounts, lets say 40 million accounts have creditcard details.
The chance that they are using your creditcard details, is so small that you sooner win the lottery or die of cancer.
Add to that, that they don't have the security number and the expiration date wich they would have to guess right.
Now the chances are so small that you would sooner see a gorilla reciting Plato.
But ofcourse according to the law of big numbers, somewhere some poor sob is going to get hit.
But then again if you check your spendings you will have 30 days time to cancel ANY transaction.

Old 28th April 2011, 12:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9095

Breezy

Quote:
I would be very nervous if I had a high limit card attached to my PSN though.
That would be me then. We have a card on their which has to much on it to be able to close in a short period of time. We will have to rely on the banks picking up on unusual transactions and our own manual checking until we can sort out the cc with another provider.

I agree with Dragonhammer about the law of averages but would like to point out they have the security number and expiry date as the cc details we entered include this info as far as I can remember.
Old 28th April 2011, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lead Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 17122

It is worthwhile remembering....

They have also stolen passwords and email account details.

So if you can be linked by your email, and have used the same PW elsewhere, it is time to change it now. The law of averages isn't much to someone who can set up a computer program to check your login details very quickly on other common sites.

Even worse for me is the compromise of the "secret question" which I cannot remember what I set (and cannot check as PSN is down) to make sure I have not used that challenge paring on any of my other accounts. Once its up I will need to check where I have used that, change it, and remember NEVER to use it again.

Its things like that that worry me more than my CC card being abused, which would be annoying, but could be proved to be fraudulent at no cost to me.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers,
immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. - Noam Chomsky
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 03:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6632

Grumpy

Bit of a pickle isn't it.
Old 28th April 2011, 08:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

It was my impresion they got card expiration dates and possibly the 3 digits from the back of the cards as well.

I guess the biggest issue is we don't know who has our info and how much of it they have

I changed all my passwords after reading your earlier post Ulric. Very good advice.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 28th April 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 47

Paranoid

Analysts say this could cost Sony up to 20bil and someone in Alabama's started up a class action lawsuit.

I wonder if after all is said and done if Sony will start charging for PSN like Xbox Live.
tekmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1245

Someones started a class action suit what a surprise....
Old 28th April 2011, 09:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3198

Psychedelic

Yeah i reckon its best to cancel your card, i have now and taken out identiy theft protection. Might sound a little paranoid but better to be safe then sorry. I know alot of people say blame the hackers but if sony had adequate security they would have been able to be hacked.

Ive changed all my passwords as well now, thankfully i use a number of emails rather then the same one so its not so easy to get lucky with me.
Xavien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimahi View Post
Someones started a class action suit what a surprise....
LOL. When I mentioned it in a post before I was joking. I should have known it would not take long for someone to start one.

Keep people away from COD that long and someone is going to have to pay damn it!

Seriously though, yes it is a pain in the arse, yes my privacy has been compromised, but surly SONY is not the bad guy here (excluding the issue of protecting our info and time of notification issue for a minute as we don't know all the facts yet).

The bad guy is the hackers surely? SONY is as much a victim as we are I would think?

Here is a novel approach, how about the 70+ million users donate $1 each to SONY so they can A) build a better system for us all and B) do what ever it takes to bring these wankers to justice?

Instead of looking for a scape goat to take our vengeance out on, how about we all help in fixing the issue and not drive a company to the wall in the process. Don't get me wrong I am no fan of large corperations, but many people depend on SONY for their living and many of us depend on SONY for our entertainment.

Just once lets focus on the right bad guy ... just to change things up?

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 28th April 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 12:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

Quote:
Just once lets focus on the right bad guy ... just to change things up?
The jerkholes that didn't encrypt the data after the last intrusion a while back?

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card, fail, ps3, psn, security breach