The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Console Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/)
-   -   Wii: Wii U (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/367670-wii-u.html)

Ebonytears 8th June 2011 08:15 AM

Wii U

Yep ... Wii U not Wii 2. The first real look at Nintendo's next gen console was released at the E3 today and, although some details are still a bit sketchy there's some interesting tit-bits.

IBM puts Watson's brains in Nintendo Wii U -- Engadget

The Wii U, Nintendo's next console (video) -- Engadget

The new controller is a rather interesting concept and doesn't look even remotely like the type of traditional controller that we're all used to...in fact it reminds me of a single screen DS to be totally honest.

I'm dashing off to drop the daughter off at school...she's one her way up the Gold Coast to dance today :D Will post more later.

Nintendo Wii U controller, first hands-on! (video) -- Engadget

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2...1060760026.jpg

Ebonytears 8th June 2011 09:39 AM

E3 2011: Battle Mii Wii U Preview - Preview

Review and video from Gamespot that includes a video that shows some gameplay and introduces the new gamepad with alot more detail.

When xbox and Sony started bring out the motion senses there was some concern as to how Nintendo would compete with them. Basically...they're not. Instead of continuing to focus on the motion sensor aspect of the Wii Nintendo has introduced a whole new gaming concept. Ok...yes the controller does look alot like a traditional control with a screen but it goes alot further than that. It almost has the feel that Nintendo is aiming it's marketing more towards the handheld market rather than the console market. With that in mind I decided to run this past my 8 year old son who is a major Wii fan but also has a DS that I sometimes feel is an implant of some kind because it seems to be permenantly attatched to him.
The excitement level was extremely high. The idea that, if his sister wanted to watch the tv he could still play! causes lots of bouncing and excited, high pitched chatter. Typical of Nintendo the new controller also brings alot of interaction. This is not a sit on the couch and watch the screen type of controller...this is a get up and move controller.
From an educational point of view....spatial awareness and hand eye co-ordination are biggies. You are not just pushing a button to stop that arrow coming in from your left, you must turn your body and raise the controller like a shield. Watching things going from the tv screen to the screen on the controller also requires a level of awareness.
Is it game-breaking....not sure. I can definately see it's appeal, but it will probably still only appeal to those who already enjoy the Wii. I do not see droves of xbox and ps3 players leaving those consoles to get this one. I do see the potential for die-hard handheld users to be drawn to this and to get alot of enjoyment from it.

My kids have already expressed a desire to have one. My daughter (who is not a gamer ) even put her hand up for it after she saw them drawing on the controller with the stylus. And I think that is where it's major appeal is - variety. Nintendo really does know how to engage it's users and get them involved in many different aspects of the games.

Zhul 8th June 2011 10:01 AM

I dunno... I have enough trouble concentrating on one screen, let alone two. :p

FunkyJ 8th June 2011 11:26 AM

It's piqued my interest, but Nintendo still have a long way to go to win me back.

I want to see games and I want to see online functionality.

Oh, and it better play DVDs!

Sorontar 8th June 2011 11:33 AM

It is going to be interesting to see how many new games truly make use of the new controller. It looks like the old controllers will still work, so one imagines that developers will want to design their games so they still work with Wiimotes and nunchuks.

The main fault I see with the new controller is the huge cable running off it. It probably has too much data to do without it, but surely that restricts the ease of movement, especially for tall people like me.

Sorontar

Chief 8th June 2011 12:48 PM

They need games to get my interest. Something besides Zelda, Metroid and 20 Mario rehashes.

Ebonytears 8th June 2011 12:55 PM

The cord didn't thrill me at all. I am so used to playing without one that the thought of going back to it is just a bit off putting.

I also need to see different games. And not another palethero of 'party games' either. They're fun but I want more substance.

Cindax 8th June 2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 3163516)
They need games to get my interest. Something besides Zelda, Metroid and 20 Mario rehashes.

Im with you there Chief.
Wii U is a Wii Not for me unless there is a line up of games that I would actually play... they also need to make it so I dont have to fight the controller for it to do what I want it to do and join the current level of technology.

Wii was fun (for 15 mins) but now we are done!

Pure Mongrel 8th June 2011 03:37 PM

Say Wii U over and over. You sound like a police car.

Yes I am bored, why do you ask? :D

Binary-Ninja 8th June 2011 04:07 PM

console and conroller
http://resources2.news.com.au/images...9602-wii-u.jpg