The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Console Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/)
-   -   PS3: Sony accounts hacked again... This time they were caught though (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/console-talk/391154-sony-accounts-hacked-again-time-they-were-caught-though.html)

FunkyJ 12th October 2011 06:14 PM

Sony accounts hacked again... This time they were caught though

ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO VERIFY VALID USER ACCOUNTS ON PLAYSTATIONŽNETWORK, SONY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK AND SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

Sony Corporation
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Tokyo, October 12 - Sony Network Entertainment International LLC and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) have detected a large amount of unauthorized sign-in attempts on PlayStationŽNetwork (PSN), Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) services. We discovered these attempts and have taken steps to mitigate the activity.

Less than one tenth of one percent of our PSN, SEN and SOE consumers may have been affected. There were approximately 93,000 accounts (PSN/SEN: approximately 60,000 accounts; SOE: approximately 33,000) where the attempts succeeded in verifying those accounts’ valid sign-in IDs and passwords, and we have temporarily locked these accounts. As a preventative measure, we will be sending email notifications to these account holders and will be requiring secure password resets or informing consumers of password reset procedures.

Credit card numbers associated with these accounts are not at risk as a result of these unauthorized attempts. Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked. We are continuing to investigate the extent of unauthorized activity on any of these accounts.

These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or sources. These were unauthorized attempts to verify valid user accounts on our services using very large sets of sign-in IDs and passwords. Between October 7 - 10 US Pacific Daylight Time, we confirmed that these were unauthorized attempts, and took steps to thwart this activity.

Sony Global - ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO VERIFY VALID USER ACCOUNTS ON PLAYSTATION(R)NETWORK, SONY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK AND SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

Ancient_One 12th October 2011 07:50 PM

Thwart means they stop the attacks but not that they actually caught them.

Time will tell if they can track them down.

krazed-supp 12th October 2011 07:56 PM

From what i get out of it, it aint sony that has been "hacked". Correct me if i am wrong but it seems they are saying a rather large list of pid's and passwords has been tried to see if they work.

Quote:

These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources
so to me thats saying Something like a stats tracking website or the likes has been compromised and the log in details from there tried against the ps network to see which if any work . After the last scandal you would think people would have smartened up and use different passwords for different sites but clearly that is not the case here.:w

Ancient_One 12th October 2011 08:52 PM

Whoops. That would be me.