Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th January 2013, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3264

Lurking
Default Sony trying to patent technology that would stop used games from being sold.

Just had a read of this article, and it is concerning from many angles.

PC Games have for a long time been non-tradable by companies like EB-Games, Gamestop, etc however console games have made up a large portion of the business performed by these companies. What Sony are looking at doing will potentially make new-generation games untradable also.

The Article: Sony patents tech to block used games - GameSpot.com

I know the first thing I do when I am looking for a game is see if there is a pre-owned copy of the game available. This also allows for us older bunch to go through and buy games for our PS2s, XBOX (original), etc and as time goes on, PS3, 360, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 4th January 2013, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

I do not really mind either way - I would happily buy my games new - That said over the last couple of years i have rented a lot of games.

I dare say having to buy all my games new again would bring back the magic instead of just getting any game i wanted at any time.
Old 4th January 2013, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Elite - Post: 2892 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

I don't actually really mind either. I've bought a couple of used games, but it's been a while now.
'New' used games usually cost the same as actual new copies anyway in most of these stores, so you don't really save much.
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9045

Breezy

I tended to notice new releases were discounted based on competition and were worth getting on launch. The price then increases to the normal sale level after this before slowly reducing in value as the months/year rolled on. It took some time for a game to reach the same price point on launch. For bargain shoppers, they would need to wait anywhere up to a year.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

Sony wishing to cash in on the second hand market with games. Especially since they provide the network which some of these games access. Their is a cost to them so they feel they should pass this on. Patches, network access, hosting.

The other side is the hit to the hip pocket with buying s second hand game and then having to buy an unlock code. If the code is provided with the sale of the game that would suffice I guess.

Rentals I feel would no longer exist. Very dirty area to get into. Although you could issue a short term code which equates to the period of your rental.

I guess the cost of the codes overall could be absorbed by the cost of the second hand game on offer but the effect on retailers might be hard felt as the cost of the game would basically have to decrease to take into account the cost of the code.

Interesting times to be sure.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1324

Psychedelic

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. This strategy may work for us old gamers, but I think the next generation may vote with their wallets.

I have five boys and they've mostly moved away from mainstream games to online and small market options which are either free or much less expensive. The only time they might buy something at release is if it was a game they played before, and that introduction was usually via a used game.

Sony should know better from what has happened in the music industry. Old games are no longer valued commodities, they are marketing pieces for new releases. I bet they would sell more new games by simply giving away the older titles to get new consumers hooked on a series than trying to nickle and dime profits out of them.
Old 5th January 2013, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2085

Confused

I have no problem with it as long as they keep it all region free, no way am I paying Australian retail prices for games.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Average - Post: 129

Cool

Didn't they apply for this same patent during the design of PS3? Sony and Microsoft have such massive contracts with retailers for pre-purchase and new releases, and with previously-loved games being the majority of profit for these brick and mortars, they'd never let that fly.

This is the start of seeing consoles going exclusively digital, but we're a long way away from that. I suppose they don't like the idea of you bringing your copy of whatever game to your buddy's place and just popping it into their system. Although that doesn't mean you can't just sign into your account on their console and play the game from there, you can't just leave them the game after you've played it out.
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2831

Amused

Who cares, they tried cinivea, wow, what a success, my 13 year old worked it out.

In no way am I promoting hacking in any way. Admins please read the sentence before this one.

However it is a part of our life. This will fail like there other attempts at grabbing a large slice of the market.

IINET said it all, don't bend over backwards to please the power players.
urgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 515

Angelic

its always been my opinion that if i buy something, i can do what i want with it. I.e. sell it.

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote