Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th November 2013, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6723

Default So who has one?!

We Aussies are still waiting 2 weeks for the PS4 release, and one week until the Xbox One release. In the meantime, I want to hear some first hand reviews! Any Americans get their hands on one yet? Which games did you get and which is your favorite?
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2013, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 931

Hot

I am glad I decided to skip the PS4 at launch with high report of dead consoles. I'll be waiting till next year at least for one, hopefully it'll all be sorted out by then. I just hope the new xbox doesn't follow the same fate next Friday.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 284

High report? It is miniscule (0.4%) according to what I have read. I don't have any concern about the possibility of receiving a broken Playstation. It is a hassle for those unfortunate enough to have had a problem because of the shortage of replacement stock. Different people have different thresholds for that type of thing, though.

It does appear that the day one 1.5 firmware update is causing problems with many games, but EA is the one pointing to the fw. If true, that has to be pretty frustrating for early adopters!

Last edited by Kaliante; 17th November 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Kaliante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain TOR / DVC SC
The Old Republic / Star Citizen
Deadly - Post: 1796 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

I got one, at first i thought mine was broken. It kept flashing blue and my TV screen was all static. I think my problem was that it was hooked up to my AV system and the input for it wasn't selected so it couldn't find anything when it was doing the video check. After unplugging it and plugging it back in with the right input selected it booted right up, and haven't had a problem since.

The console is nice and small, at least for me since I'm coming from a launch day PS3. The fan while playing is also a lot quieter then the launch PS3. On the back of the unit you have a port for camera, HDMI, optical audio, and power. On the front you have two usb, and the power, and eject button. I didn't see the buttons at first, they are right in the crease down the console and black which matches the console.

The new user interface is nice so far, but wish you could remove items. I don't need the music unlimited on it. Also at least shows the last 4 games played or installed, hopefully it doesn't show them all. What surprised me was if you have camera it has voice commands. I was talking to a friend and it popped up when I said Playstation. I didn't think it was going to be in at launch. The voice commands are no where near what the 360 has, feels like it was rushed to get it out. Hopefully it will be worked on and updated. Only thing I find lacking is no blu ray 3D support, and the bluetooth remote from the PS3 doesn't work. Hopefully the 3D gets put back in. Also if you used a PS3 as a media center, don't be looking to do that with the PS4 at least at this time.

I only played the one game yesterday for about 2hrs. which was Lego Marvel. Game was fun and I like the new controller, my hands have more room. The new design on the sticks are nice, and the concave trigger feel a lot better then the old ones on the DS3. Didn't get to try the touchpad and what I played in the game didn't support it.

Over all I'm happy with it, and look forward to the new games that push the new hardware.

SWTOR - Malvorn, Ridef {Rep} Joc'eret, Vor'nn {Imp}; SC: ohio_medic; ESO: @ohio.medic; LOTRO - Pendir, Malvorn TSW - Amunra, Bravo; Origin ID: ohiomedic
ohio.medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 931

Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliante View Post
High report? It is miniscule (0.4%) according to what I have read.
No, that was Sony's pre launch estimate. It won't be too long till they get more accurate numbers. There are a few different faults on them from faulty HDMI ports to faulty GPU's.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 284

Nope, you are wrong about that. (In fact, suggestions prior to launch are meaningless whether they are positive or negative.) I simply addressed your claim of a "high report" of dead consoles. If you have objective evidence of a "high" failure rate I would be very interested in you pointing me too it. I have never owned a console but I have been seriously considering a purchase this generation. If there is a serious problem with the quality of the initial rollout of the PS4 I would very much like to learn of it. Do you have a link to objective evidence supporting your claim?
Kaliante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 18

Fine

I received mine on launch day and so far I'm loving it. The PSN was up and down on launch day, but once I was able to connect, everything went pretty smoothly. The interface is nice and smooth and I love how much faster the PlayStation Store is now.

The DS4 is a nice improvement over the DS3. It feels about as comfortable as the 360 controller is for me. My only complaints with it are that the option button is in a weird place and sometimes hard to find (will get used to it in time) and the battery life doesn't hold a candle to the battery life on the DS3. I pretty much have had to charge it once a day so far. But those are minor things for me.

I have AC4, Killzone, Knack, Contrast, Rezogun, Warframe, DCUO and Blacklight. The games for the most part feel like launch games, in that the game mechanics are familiar but the eye candy has increased. I don't know what game the reviewers played, but Knack is a pretty good game, in my opinion. I have been enjoying it on normal difficulty and will probably have a go at hard or very hard at some point. AC4 plays like an AC game with a pirate theme. I'm enjoying it. Killzone looks nice, but I haven't played with it much yet. Warframe looked really weird to me, but it's F2P and actually turned out to be pretty fun after giving it a shot. Rezogun looks fantastic and is super smooth. If you're into shoot-em-ups, you'll probably love it. I haven't really played the rest of the games I have yet.

Remote play on the Vita is amazing. I haven't been able to tell that it's streaming at all. I left my PS4 in standby and crawled in bed with the Vita. When I connected, the PS4 powered on and I was able to play some games and turn the PS4 back off through the Vita. That blew me away. I think you could do some of that on a PS3, but I never tried it. The Vita does not have a 1:1 mapping to the DS4 though, so that can get a little awkward for some games.

No regrets so far on my purchase; I'm having a blast with it and still have a few games that I haven't tried yet.
Diablo III - nokboy#1410
effjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 2528

Hot

The Remote Play is what has me most interested, however I don't see any titles that I would really enjoy or that just completely stand out for me to justify picking the console up this year. I am more interested in Infamous and Watch Dogs, and definitely Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, and The Division.

I can only imagine what Remote Play with The Division is going to be like. It'll be awesome to play a MMO from bed sometime.
Thymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

My son is part of Sony Club in Australia and will be attending the release event on Thursday 28 November 2013. 3 hrs of entertainment, food and drinks. Then he will receive his PS4 package at midnight plus pickup Killzone for $50.

Unfortunately he is working the next 3 days after so might not get to play until the following Monday. That's after doing a firmware update which is estimated at being around 300MB.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 19th November 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 06:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain TOR / DVC SC
The Old Republic / Star Citizen
Deadly - Post: 1796 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

The remote play is nice, I've only tried it on Knack which doesn't use all the controls. I don't know how well it would work on a game that uses all the shoulder buttons, and triggers.

Ancient_One if internet speed is a problem you can predownload the update and use a usb stick to update the console. I know a lot of people did it that way in case the servers were swamped on release day in the US.

SWTOR - Malvorn, Ridef {Rep} Joc'eret, Vor'nn {Imp}; SC: ohio_medic; ESO: @ohio.medic; LOTRO - Pendir, Malvorn TSW - Amunra, Bravo; Origin ID: ohiomedic
ohio.medic is offline   Reply With Quote