Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk

Console Talk Console Gamers - We're all thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th June 2014, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy
Default Xbox One Kinect or Not to Kinect

Hey Guys
My sons birthday is soon and now he ask for an Xbox One because all his friends have one.
I see you can buy the xbox without the kinect and a game now for $100 cheaper.
My question is should I buy that one or just stick with the kinect package.

Here are the packs we are looking at -
https://ebgames.com.au/xbox-one/console-hardware

Who would have thought I would own a xbox one before a PS4
PC games still have me by the b@lls is the reason why I have got a PS4 yet

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170

Last edited by click; 12th June 2014 at 12:46 PM.
click is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th June 2014, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goofy

Just found this aswell
Very interesting

Old 12th June 2014, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9330

Breezy

Tough decision mate.

Obvious questions:
Are any of the games you're interested in, use Kinect?
Do you have the living room space to run Kinect noting distance back from the screen.?

Last edited by Ancient_One; 12th June 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Goofy

Short answer is I am not sure mate.
I was thinking of more about using it for the voice command thing. Just wondering does anyone really use it that way.
I dont really enjoy all those wave your arms and legs around games, but the kids might be a different story.

If anyone has one I would like to hear if you find it useful ?? or just another dust collector

Old 13th June 2014, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain TOR / DVC SC
The Old Republic / Star Citizen
Deadly - Post: 1675 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

I use it for voice command, it's nice to say xbox on and the xbox, tv, and avr all turn on. Best part about it is no longer have to remember all the satellite channel number I can just say Xbox watch abc and it turns to it. I have yet to use it for any games, so I can't comment on them.

SWTOR - Malvorn, Ridef {Rep} Joc'eret, Vor'nn {Imp}; SC: ohio_medic; ESO: @ohio.medic; LOTRO - Pendir, Malvorn TSW - Amunra, Bravo; Origin ID: ohiomedic
ohio.medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio.medic View Post
I use it for voice command, it's nice to say xbox on and the xbox, tv, and avr all turn on. Best part about it is no longer have to remember all the satellite channel number I can just say Xbox watch abc and it turns to it. I have yet to use it for any games, so I can't comment on them.
Nice info mate
I think I would be the same, just use it for the voice unless anything else pops up

Old 22nd June 2014, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Average - Post: 155

Yeehaw

Just letting you know for Aussies, the "Xbox on" command doesn't work yet, but the "Xbox turn off" command does. Unless you set the language to USA english, but from what I've heard it is coming to us. That being said, me and wife love the voice commands. Watching a blu ray and need to get up or answer the phone we just say "Xbox pause". Come back and when ready say "Xbox play". The "Xbox go to" commands are great too. I use them to check if friends are online and what they are playing. e.g sitting on the couch watching TV and during a add break say "Xbox go to friends" see whos online and then "xbox go to TV" without having to pick up a controller or a remote I love that. The auto sign in is good feature too. The camera picks up and recognises your face and signs you in automatically. Like the wife watching TV at night in the dark I walk past and up on the TV comes "Hi Paul!". we both laughed and were surprised at how well it works in the dark even. I heard it will run faster without Kinect if they put an update with it but it will be interesting to see how they allow it without pissing off early adaptors or people who like using Kinect while playing.
Origin: SoulSetFire
MeOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 270

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeOnFire View Post
Just letting you know for Aussies, the "Xbox on" command doesn't work yet, but the "Xbox turn off" command does. Unless you set the language to USA english, but from what I've heard it is coming to us.
Just to clarify, screaming "xbox on" at the TV multiple times doesn't work either (In Australia). I didn't know why until now - knowledge is golden.

Detergent Powwaaarrr!! Cleaning up a map near you!
barfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
1 + 1 =
Guru - Post: 10331

Son started playing plants v zombies and I observed that everything being said was being broadcast through the game. This was auto on.

If you get the Kinect, make sure you check settings to ensure that the chat is turned off.
- "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.": Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil - Amphorism 146
2_islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeOnFire View Post
Just letting you know for Aussies, the "Xbox on" command doesn't work yet, but the "Xbox turn off" command does. Unless you set the language to USA english, but from what I've heard it is coming to us.
Going to set it up today thanks for the tip mate. I would have been wtf . You have probably just saved me hours of frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_islands View Post
Son started playing plants v zombies and I observed that everything being said was being broadcast through the game. This was auto on.

If you get the Kinect, make sure you check settings to ensure that the chat is turned off.
Can you just turn ingame voice off, so we can still use the other voice commands for the xbox