Old 23rd May 2012, 01:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pink Predator
Ace - Post: 9305 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Good watch, nice frag, looks like fun

Old 23rd May 2012, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1617

Fine

I need to jump on TS when you guys are playing.

Do you stick to the AusArena servers or do you jump onto US servers as well?
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Division Captain
Arma
Elite - Post: 4863 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Was fun! Thanks for posting the vid, Maddog.

Per ardua ad astrospud
astrospud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1617

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamV View Post
When I came too I crawled over to the body of my assassin to take whatever his corpse didn't need anymore, however what I saw made my face turn white..It wasn't a bandit, it was another survivor..I had shot down a survivor.. I told myself "he shot at me first it was me or him!" until I saw the body behind me..he was never aimed at me..he was aimed at what was behind me..he killed the zombie coming up behind me..

Dooh!
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4571

Fine

Yeah, killing the guy that is saving your life.. always a poxor moment
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopNZ View Post
I need to jump on TS when you guys are playing.

Do you stick to the AusArena servers or do you jump onto US servers as well?
I would rather play close to home but wont until they switch the day/night cycle. Night is just too stupid dark. My current favourite is "NYC 8".
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 515

Angelic

Awesome vid maddog!
made work that much more enjoyable!
MOARRRRR!!

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 541

Chatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
I would rather play close to home but wont until they switch the day/night cycle. Night is just too stupid dark. My current favourite is "NYC 8".
Alot of the Ausarma servers and even a few of the games.net.au servers have been bending the day/night cycle abit. On one aus server it could be pitch black, switch to another one and its 12 in the afternoon
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6077

Lurking

Dear dairy,
Why do my bones break and blood pours out of my body when I try to be friendly with the Zeds?............Oh, wait maybe I'm supposed to be friendly with the bandits?.
Ah I'm supposed to be friendly with the other players,why is everyone shooting at me?,I'm really a nice guy.

At least in this game when you get told to f7^k off camper you actually do have a tent
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

I've had a few good runs over the last few days as I learn the map, engine and game.

My recent best went like this.

Spawned near Drakon. Was playing on a US server and it was an hour or two before dawn. Turned up the gamma as recommended, and headed into the dock area nearby. Found a few chemlights. Climbed up a crane to see if there was anything interesting - there wasn't. There was however about 10 Zeds stuck in the water beside it.

Continued inland and found an isolated powerplant (north of Electro). Found my first ever shotgun - continued up the stairs and found a few other items including an AKM! (but there was no ammo so I grudgingly left it behind).

Heard some activity nearby so snuck out of there and followed the powerlines inland as dawn broke and eventually hit the border of Prigo. Explored some barns and found some food, but heard evidence of other players. Went back into the woods and followed the powerlines west till I hit Vysota. This was where I struck gold and found a barn filled with a Crossbow, Lee Enfield and CZ550 sniper rifle. Tried out the Crossbow as Id heard you could reclaim the bolts. Seemed effective but realised a few downsides: 1) if youre firing at a Zed in the open and miss, you have very little chance of finding your bolt again. 2) bolts take up an entire inventory slot making ammo limited and 3) reloading is slow so you cant use it when being chased by more than a few Z.

By this stage I had a sniper rifle with three magazines, plus plenty of ammo for my Makarov. My plan was to try and live off the land as much as possible. I was hoping to find a knife so that I could start hunting animals.

The next village was where I came undone. I had scoured the barn and found a few chemlights, etc and was doing a big loop so I could search a building on the far side. The direct route had about 10 zombies thatd spawned so I took to the woods and was moving around the edge slowly. I must have dropped my guard for a moment, because when I next looked a Zed was on me. I took him out with my pistol, and sprinted away as more had been alerted.

This was where I had a really stupid idea or perhaps, untested. Id seen on some videos that zombies are attracted to flares. So as I run, I switch to a flare and try to throw it. Cue the longest arming animation (where you have to stand still). The zombies following were one me and they were completely disinterested in the flare (it was daytime as well) when I finally threw it. Now I was losing blood, and frantically switching between weapons while 3-4 chased me. I managed to take them all out, but at a great cost. I was down to 2000 blood, I had a cold due to low temperature, and my body temp was down to 20 and dropping. My vision had gone to black and white, and I was falling unconscious.

Session 2 began with me fainting and needing to improve my blood levels which meant either food or a bloodpack. I realised that for some reason, there was a tiny number of Zeds on the server less than 10. I realised that I might be able to get to Electro and scrounge some supplies, so I began heading there, watching my temperature progressively drop from 20, to 15, to 10 and finally 2 degrees by the time I reached Electro.

Unfortunately, the bug that prevented the zombies from spawning also prevented loot from appearing. Id managed to find what looked like a military hospital, so I logged out from my current server and onto another. Success! I managed to find plenty of bandages, epi-pens, morphine and most importantly, bloodpacks!

Only then did I discover that you cant administer a bloodpack by yourself. There was nobody on the server nearby (or that would respond to me on chat). Basically I was falling unconscious every few minutes, and had what I needed to make myself better, but nobody to administer it. A terrible catch-22.

My options were simple continue to try and call for someone to administer a bloodpack, and risk them shooting me, or respawn. Upon weighing the choices, I figured itd make more sense to respawn and start over.

I never did fire my sniper rifle...