TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 22nd May 2012, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired
Default DayZ tips collection.

Thanks Reddit!

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comment...eads_for_your/

Old 22nd May 2012, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
MechWarrior Online
Elite - Post: 2776

Amused

Also, DO NOT cycle your mags until they are empty, I found last night at what I thought to be comfortable position to defend myself only to find myself backpedaling and changing through mags with only two rounds in them.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Average - Post: 239

Lurking

I've been travelling in a group of 5 friends over the last few days, and here is a few things I have learnt. Obviously, being cautious even in a group, should go without saying, but there are certain benefits.

Solo players are incredibly scared of you, and the further you are inland, the more they will avoid 3 or 4 grouped players.

On the coast, the freshly spawned survivors are a little more reckless. Do not ever go near the coast.

Stick close together, close enough so that if someone sees you, they see all of you, but not so close that they can gun you all down. Once again, solo players who are inland are usually better equipped and will NOT take that chance to try and kill 3 players.

You have to move as a group, at all times, maybe 10-15 metres max between you all. Always try to know where your group members are, alt+mouse movement is a wonderful thing. Remember, if one of you appear to the outside observer as being alone, chances are, you will be shot!

Call shots. This serves two purposes... one, you will not be scared shirtless when someone starts firing. Two, if none of you has called the shot. You will know there is another survivor nearby.

Zombies. It is imperative, that, if someone comes under attack by a zombie, that they try and stop moving as soon as possible, when you are in a group, a zombie will not kill you, even a horde will have trouble (although if the horde has awoken, its best to not shoot, and just run for the nearest building/chokepoint). If a zombie is attacking a party member, them not moving and taking a few hits is much better than moving into someone elses line of fire that may be trying to save you. Stand your ground, stay calm, and do not move. I will not take a shot at a zombie that is attacking a friendly player, if that player is moving.

Lastly, raiding inland villages...We are going to try out this tactic, but in theory, it seems sound so far. This should work with five players ideally, but can work with four. With five of you, station two players (distance them a little for vantage) in the hills/forests around the village, trying to avoid likely entry spots. These guys are to be your eyes for bandits/survivors who may try entering the village. The other three enter the village. You need at least three players to raid safely, as three players versus the horde, or encountering a solo survivor/bandit are more than intimidating.

The three inside the village, can then gather loot for everyone (there may need to be a shopping list of some description) so making sure you have enough bag space is also a good idea. While the two outside keep watch. If they see someone, its up to you whats next, my approach would be to /sidechat them without giving away the town "You running across the field towards x building stop, this is a warning shot" and get one of your watchmen to fire the warning shot. Then I would explain to them what is happening. I guess after that, if they still insist on entering the town, it would have to be weapons free, because they are no longer coming in for a chat and a cup of tea..

Finally. Bandages. Always know how many bandages you have as an entire group, and who has how many. Always.

p.s Bandages. at least 3 or 4 per player... at least. Other medicine such as painkillers is handy. But Bandages.

Sorry for the rant.. hope it was helpful!

Last edited by Nogaxeh; 23rd May 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Nogaxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 628

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogaxeh View Post
I've been travelling in a group of 5 friends over the last few days
There's been 3-9 of us in TS playing together the last few days, where you and your 5 mates been Nog?
theBLACK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Yeah Nog! Why wont you go to your home?! Are you too good for your home?!?!
Old 24th May 2012, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Average - Post: 239

Lurking

lol... haha... sorry, Ive been playing on Dallas 12.. the server owner there no longer resets the servers (I don't think, nothing is buggin out now so that is a good indication).. it is usually early morning when I log on there (around 4 or 5 p.m Melbourne time)...

I will check the other threads to see where you guys are playing... I have a mumble server that me and a bunch of mates play different games on from time to time.. I conned them all into buying it, haha, so I felt it only fair that I played with them...

Anyhow, I will check out where you guys are and put it to the others if they wanna switch up servers
Old 26th May 2012, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

For anyone who leaves NW airfield worse for wear - head to Grishino (east). I was struggling with my vision due to blood loss, and couldnt read the compass, and headed there by mistake. Turns out there's two lootable buildings within a stones throw of each other. You can loop back and forth between the two while you wait for food to spawn.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1218

Tired

My suggestion is to get on comms with other TOGgers. Even if you're on your own (which I was for hours last night when attempting to link up with a couple of others), it's good to be able to hear what's going on in other parts of the map. I picked up a lot of tips last night just by listening.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

My tips after surviving for 3+ days and recently having to start over. Many have come from fellow TOGgers

1. Learn to switch between walk and run (double-shift)
  2. Switch to crawl (Z) when navigating zombies
  3. Hold ALT to freelook left and right while navigating zombies and to also check for other players
  4. Hold a pistol when crawling - it's faster
  5. Switch to crouch (X) when you're about to enter a building as crawling over the threshold can have unintended side-effects
  6. Running seriously increases your water/food intake requirements. Use it when you can afford to (i.e. you have plenty of water/food).
  7. Always have spare food/water in your backpack when you logout
  8. When you start out, head inland straight away. Avoid Cherno, Electro, Balota Airfield and all the coastal villages if you want to live past 28 minutes
  9. Deer huts (listed here: http://rien-ici.com/dayzmap.jpg) have military weapons, food, water, bandages, knives, etc. These are great places to hit when you first start out
  10. Two-storey Barns have arguably the most loot, are most common, and are often remote from other people (shown here: DayZ Map - Ultimate Beans Finder)
  11. Buildings that can be entered have windows you can see through
  12. Read and compare the weapons at Weapons - DayZ Wiki. What I recommend is a good mix of stopping power, ammo per clip/magazine, and noise (I recommend Winchester -> Lee Enfield then one of the NATO/Russian rifles (M16 / M4A1 / AK) due to clip sizes and stopping power
  13. When weapons offer alternative fire modes, switch to semi so you don't let off more rounds that you need to (F)
  14. Sniper rifles look cool but are useless for most play styles. They have low ammo per clip, only effective at range, and make a huge noise.
  15. The Makarov is actually pretty good. What it lacks in stopping power, it makes up in reduced zombie aggro (it's quieter). The M9/G17 is a good step up for a quieter pistol
  16. If you do want a powerful pistol - go with the M1911.
  17. You can loop between buildings and the loot will respawn (if the original pile has been picked up). Useful if you're close to death and desperate for beans
  18. Flares are great if you're confident you're somewhere remote enough to use it. For instance, it will light up an entire castle for you. They also apparently ruin enemy night vision - good for raids on airfields.
  19. Chemlights have varying light emitting radius. Red being the smallest (I think blue is largest). I've settled on green. They also last for 60m gametime
  20. Carrying a chemlight doesn't seem to increase your visibility to zombies (tested with green chemlights)
Old 27th May 2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 628

Lurking

Nice tips Severim +1
theBLACK77 is offline   Reply With Quote