Old 24th May 2012, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Dangerous - Post: 561

Default Day Z server

I personally and a few others are looking at:

Providing a TOG friendly controlled server for our playing environment, without the snaky shoot now ask questions later when you come across others in gamer in game.

And the fact the lact of Aust servers offering great PING and slots in game when our TOG numbers are climbing in interest over ARMA 2 - DAY Z.

Open for discussion.... Please post your interest and support for getting a private server going

Old 24th May 2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I am interested. Would need to know more specific info re costs of course. Apparently it's a fairly expensive venture.

Also a few things to bear in mind.
Kicking of Players for Clan members
* Kicking of other players in favour of clannies is... Frowned upon. And we require the permission and goodwill of rocket to be allowed to run a server. They are looking at being able to provide a limited number of reserved slots...
* I personally would want the server day/night cycle flipped as I have very little interest in playing while unable to see anything, but I can only play at night Aus time.
* Being shot up by other edgy players is an intended part of the game and we wont be able to take action against that type of play if we want to keep running a server.

So it's not like we'll be running zombie utopia. But yeah, I certainly have interest.
Old 24th May 2012, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

Although not a member of TOG I would like to see you guys start up a server seeing as how I agree trying to get onto an aus server which isn't either bugging out, too packed to get on or not in darkness (I can only play at night as well)

Also a lot of other TOG servers in other games are usually really well run and generally a good environment to play in.
Old 24th May 2012, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

I'd be in favor of an offset for night. Ie, sunset about 1am AEST. If we want to do a late night session or morning, which is doable on weekends, we could have the option of playing the ingame night.

Day Z TOG server sounds good to me though, I think we could make a decent case to at least require a certain level of decorum from people playing, equal to our usual standards, if not a total ban on agro PKers. As long as they're being bandits and not being obnoxious little mugs on the socials, it's kind of part of the game. I was actually looking forward to playing at some bandit shenanigans myself, hopefully with a few TOGgers.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

I've looked into this and it seems a little more restricted as to how you can host your own server.

In essence - the only reasons they allow you to ban players is racism and cheating. The typical TOG code of conduct wouldn't be able to be enforced without risking the server being blacklisted.

Servers are also not allowed to be passworded without a damn good reason, if not - you risk the server being blacklisted.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1615

Amused

It would be cool, but they do cost quite a bit as Justin has stated and according to the following posts it'll cost around $400-$500 per month!!!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=1914511&#r1
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of the interesting differences of how DayZ works is that your character is persistent across all servers. So instead of having to choose one server and sticking to it - you can log on to any server that's open and your character will be available.

Ping is much less critical in this game compared to others, so I've got no issue playing on up to 200ms servers.

What I'd suggest is that we make it easy to find other players (via a dedicated TS room) and then mutually agree which server to play on. For example, I often play the Seattle server as I enjoy sneaking around at dusk and the ping isn't atrocious.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker20 View Post
Providing a TOG friendly controlled server for our playing environment, without the snaky shoot now ask questions later when you come across others (...) in game.
But isn't this part of what makes the game so intense? Not really knowing how that guy you just bumped into in the supermarket will react? And not knowing how you will react?

I'm all for a TOG server, but I think it would effectively "nerf" the game if it was an all-friendly environment. It's the other players in the game who are the biggest threat to your survival (or at least that's my perception) - if you take that away, the greatest challenge that remains may very well be having the patience to crawl past zombies.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
It would be cool, but they do cost quite a bit as Justin has stated and according to the following posts it'll cost around $400-$500 per month!!!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=1914511&#r1
Yeh the server requirements and traffic usage is pretty crazy. And for that cost you don't have the luxury of passwording or enforcing your own TOS. So it's pretty expensive unless we had a big community supporting it.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia View Post
But isn't this part of what makes the game so intense? Not really knowing how that guy you just bumped into in the supermarket will react? And not knowing how you will react?

I'm all for a TOG server, but I think it would effectively "nerf" the game if it was an all-friendly environment. It's the other players in the game who are the biggest threat to your survival (or at least that's my perception) - if you take that away, the greatest challenge that remains may very well be having the patience to crawl past zombies.
Once great response I saw in a forum post "So you want to remove PVP from a PVP-designed zombie apocalypse mod?"