Old 28th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty
Default This forum should go private (discuss)

Guys it seems to me, in a game as PK heavy as DayZ, we should probably ask to move this sub-forum to our members only FPS section of the forums.

It'd be good to post things like where we're camping, where one TOGger could go to find more of us, which towns we hang around. There's nothing to stop us posting those things, but when we've got GPS units, NV gear, sweet boomsticks, ammo and tents full of mad loot, we won't want to advertise where exactly all that fatness is ingame to anyone but family. And family? Family includes other older gamers coming into Day Z later.

Even something as innocent as "We need medical supplies, lets crew up and raid a hospital this weekend" can turn into an ambush or a tail waiting for us at a certain time if we're not careful.I'd rather be careful. I'm getting into this game, the level of immersion is intense thanks to the engine the mod's laid over. I'm not the only one, there's a growing group of us. So it'd be good to be able to discuss location and time specific ingame plans and tactics without having to worry about random bandits with mediocre google skills capitalising on our teamwork.

What do you think? Should we ask to be moved?
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th May 2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1265

Tired

Either that, or a hidden subforum under this one. Maybe make it invite only, in case we're infiltrated? Or am I being paranoid?

Okay, I'm being paranoid, but after playing this game solo in the dark for a couple of hours, I had to sleep with a light on.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 932

I agree that we should have a private TOGers DayZ forum.

We should have one thread where we post where we are on the map (and edit/update that post as-needed). This will make it easier to see where the majority of people are if you want to meet up with others.

Of course, any such thread would need to be kept hidden.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

I don't see the need myself. Location is totally dependent on which server we are on at a given time and we usually coordinate that in TS.

I understand that people get attached to their gear, but in a full gear loss game (there aren't that many out there these days) it is critical to long term enjoyment not to do so. It's just stuff, and half of the fun is finding it (for me personally). The way I view anything I have is that I am already dead and it's already gone, so any time I get to spend with it is a bonus.

A little off topic maybe, but I think it's a pretty important philosophy for gear loss games.
Old 28th May 2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

It's a valid point. It's not really a sense of attachment to the gear I'm thinking of, as the potential for public notices of "sensitive" info having the potential to be a grief magnet. It'd just be good to discuss where we might want to be on the weekend and what we'll be doing in private, considering we spend most our time on just a few servers.

I can navigate fine without a compass, and the only maps I really need are on the net. I'm working on my makarov marksmanship, so even when I spawn "naked," it's with my preferred sidearm. The only thing I could see myself growing fond of would be my z kill count.

Playing devil's advocate I guess it might be fun to attract a bit trouble in game. Even so, it's not something I'd want to do all the time. It'd be nice to have a war room.

Last edited by Noises; 28th May 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Yeah don't take my comments the wrong way. I don't care either way, I don't have anything against the suggestion. I just don't personally feel the need for it.

I'll always coordinate my server choice in TS as any server can be being a pain in the bum on a given night. And I don't mind who knows what town I'm headed for.
Old 29th May 2012, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1265

Tired

That's a fair point. One thing that I've caught myself doing sometimes when I've logged off before one of you guys is to read the diary entries to see roughly where you have gotten to, so if I log on earlier, I get a chance to catch up and join forces for some raiding or helicopter related hilarity. But I suppose that we're not talking about what server we're on, because that changes so much.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote