Old 1st June 2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired
Default Since patching made me sad tonight...

Here's an apparently super easy method...

ARMA II Beta Client Install | DayZ @ Sykotix.com

Old 1st June 2012, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2889

Amused

Due to steam needing to be run with the "combined operations" right click menu

I'll make your lives even easier.

This works for the steam version.

Download and install beta.
linky
Download modified script and desktop shortcuts (Two files go in OA folder and two desktop shortcuts.)
linky
Change path in desktop shortcut properties to match your machine (mine is on G drive)

Now you have two shortcuts on the desktop to run both the stand alone beta and dayz beta.
You can remove your launch options in steam and easily run vanilla OA again.

Last edited by Bru1zer; 1st June 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Bru1zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1678

Thanks for that Bru1zer, that got the beta download I did earlier tonight working.
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 990

Shocked

Works for me but it seems to stop me entering a server. It just hangs on the loading screen. The one before you enter, its just before recieving character data. So sad face

If we got a problem, we can solve it, we just lock the thread, whilst we refuse to solve it.
Penthrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1494

Breezy

thanks for the links to the updates Bru1zer. I loaded the latest OA patch but my screen in OA only says I'm on version 1.60.93398 now, how do I get to 1.7?

Also, I'm now not getting effects sounds in game, at least I can get in now, last night I couldn't even get to play due to all the config errors I was getting. Strange as I was able to get in early in the day, then errors galore. Pity its so hard to get the set up right, its a good game and I expect once its set up sweet, I won't have such a problem. Thanks again for the help

Heading for the stars sometime soon I hope!
Gluggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
BF Game Op
Competent - Post: 262

Buzzed

Gluggy i fell into the same confused state you are now in

1.60.93398 is the ARMA II Beta patch it will also work on non beta servers.
to run this you need to use the "Launch Arma2 OA Beta Patch" short cut on your desktop or in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder (this is my location yours may be different)

1.70 is the DayZ patch once you have this installed you can only play on 1.70 servers.

Now what a few of us have done is have two addon folders
"addon" with the 1.70 patched files in it and
"addon v160" with the 1.60 files
when we play on a 1.60 server we exit the game and change the addon's folder name to "addon" to be "addon v170" and the "addon v160" to be "addon"

Then wooohoo we are joining the ARMA II beta 1.60.93398 (cos its backwards compatible) DayZ 1.60 server

confused still ? shit i am so many patches to different levels of the game its all a bit hard at the momment. Hope they get it all the server up to level again very soon.

If you are still haing troubles yell on TS and i'm sure one of the guys will spend some time with you to sort it out.

Good Luck
Rubber
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

I'm also using the two folders method. In addition, yes, I've patched up to version 1.60.93398. I brought the game off Steam. I've used Worum's and Six updaters, and uninstalled them both and gone manual.

If you tick all these boxes and still have troubles, you're probably having one of two problems. One, launching from the wrong place, the other is maybe somewhere in all the patching you've corrupted dayZ files.

I always launch a 1.6 game from Steam. (Games Library > (right click) ArmA II:Operation Arrowhead (and) > Launch ArmA II:Operation Arrowhead.

I only run the modded version command line launcher on the modified servers, and I run it manually. (desktop shortcuts had the wrong targets anyway for Win 7 x64) Go to (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead, double click _runA2CO_beta.cmd ) I find it's mostly find servers with the CO beta running 1.7 now.

If neither of these two methods gets you in game, delete your entire C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DayZ folder and install the mod again, using the two folders method. Jarni couldn't get in to a 1.6 server yesterday at all, I copied my DayZ folder with the two addon folders across to him and shazzam, hello 1.6.

Hopefully soon we'll be past this six different iterations of the same game nonsense. Gotta love alpha software.

Last edited by Noises; 3rd June 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1494

Breezy

Thanks Noises / Rubber and Brewski, I'm going back to square one and set up everything again. I think I've enough info now to do it right. I think I've loaded too many patches and mods in the wrong order which has stuffed up my configs. I don't want to keep digging myself in deeper. I'll let you know how I go.

Heading for the stars sometime soon I hope!
Gluggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1196

Don't worry - it's pretty hard to stuff this up

here's the basic idea:

1. download/install the game via steam or otherwise
2. install the beta client as per Bru1ser post
3. install 1.6 dayz mod as per every other guide out there take a copy of the @dayz folder. This will be your 1.6 folder - save it someplace)
4. install 1.7 dayz mod into the 1.6 mod folder. This will be the 1.7 mod folder (keep copy of this folder also)
5. sort out your shortcut as per above posts because by default the game/steam launches into non-beta client.

Main thing is that at the end of this process you want to be able to have the a folder containing the 1.6 version of the mod as well as a folder containing the 1.7 version (which is 1.6 with 2 new files in it). The reason for this is that we swap around servers a fair bit depending on which ones are buggy/hard to connect to also sometimes you want to play at night/day etc so there's a bit of version hopping going around and you want to be able to do that without too much delay/hassle. Having both folders ready to go (noises post has good detail on how to do this) saves you a lot of trouble.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Since 1.7 I have given up playing for the now. It doesn't matter how good the game is, to me, if I have to spend 1/3 of my precious gaming time finding a stable server to play on. I'll start up again when all the servers are patched for 1.7 or they do something to fix the absolute crapiness that is server problems at the moment.