Old 1st June 2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1238

Post Idea for a DayZ plan

So last night, while trying to hook up with the main TOG group I ran into Balota airport.

The place was deserted - very few zeds and no bandits! Tons of loot too!

Now I realise that in some servers all airports are full of bandits/snipers but what if we had 4-5 people on overwatch (even better if they had decent long range weapons)- and a bit of scouting also - could make doing an airport raid very viable?

Not even necessarily Balota. Basically, watch a place for long enough - maybe even send a newbie in there (fine, I volunteer) and see if he gets picked off by a sniper and we might have a good idea if it is safe from bandits or not. In fact, lots of people on overwatch and only very small number of people would go into the actual airport. Possibly 1-2 people could fire off a lee enfield and/or flares and draw any Zeds away ?

Then all of us can very quickly, get a lot of very delicious loot.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st June 2012, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1279

Tired

I don't think I'd go that far south again. If there's a group spawning on the coast, then Balota isn't a bad choice. Stack your odds and do it late on a NZ server with few people in-game, though. My experience with that airport is not very good, and usually ends with a CZ shot before I get very far.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Star Trek Online
Deadly - Post: 1461

Cynical

finally decided to get the mod and play with everyone. alas, my ping was not good enough (about 200) to stay connected on the ANZ1 server with you. tried multiple times, but i kept getting booted. played solo for a while (on a NA server, where i am currently), where it was pitch black outside and i was eaten in the first 10 minutes. listened to all of you for about an hour on TS, and it sounded like good fun. it seems DayZ is not a game to be played without mates to watch your back. pretty disappointed.

cheers...
Old 1st June 2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1678

It can be played solo, but it is advisable to take things very slowly and be extremely paranoid.

Also being extremely paranoid is useful.

P.S.- Did I mention being paranoid?
Old 1st June 2012, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1238

Actually my first experience was identical to yours! Spawned at night, laggy, can't see anything, get eatten by zombies.

Since then I logged into a daytime server and the lag isn't that bad - as long as you can connect the game is very playable at 100-200ms range (I live in tasmania so 100ms is pretty much minimum just to hop over to mainland) - a lot of the hit detection (whether your bullet hits a zombie/player) is done with due consideration for lag (ie client side).

I have found that the only lag issue is zombie agro - on my screen i am pretty far from zombies and not agroing them - but on server they are growling at me already - still, just means you gotta be extra careful.

As to playing solo - one of my friends asked me the same thing - basically it is very playable solo just in a different way:
you can move faster/easier and you get a lot more loot (ie don't have to share with friends) you also have a lot more freedom in regards to tactics/strategy - if you want to lie down under a tree for half an hour and go afk there's no issues. The problem is risk - it is much greater for single player - you don't have friends watching your back, listening/locating distant gunfire, covering you while you run through open fields, etc.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tired

I think that anything less than a group of five is still pretty dangerous, because the perception of being safe is probably greater than the actual security provided. Ideally, I'd be far more comfortable with a group of six or seven.

Think about that raid that went rather badly on the supermarket in Zelenogorsk last night. There were only four of us. That's probably enough to provide very rudimentary security in our immediate area, but all it would have taken was one dude on a tree line with a scope to wipe out every one of us. If we'd had an extra two or three guys hanging back and providing overwatch, those raging zeds would have been less of an issue.
Old 1st June 2012, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1678

I agree Biggus, the night before we had a group of 6 that raided the supermarket, 3 actually raiding and 3 on overwatch.
While the guys were in the supermarket another survivor showed up sprinting across the field for the market those of us on overwatch were able to take the potential threat down from behind before the raiding party were threatened.
Old 1st June 2012, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

You've got a lot of mouths to feed when you're in a large group though,

@machfive: Avoid playing on a server where it's night, stick to the country side and make it your goal not to fire a single shot when entering small towns/settlements. You can easily crawl past zombies without being noticed, and once you've found some nice gear and you've gotten the hang of staying alive for a while, the game will grow on you!
Old 1st June 2012, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

Bare in mind, the failed raid at Zelenogorsk, we'd also been hanging around there firing on and off for some time. I thinkj that was the biggest lesson for me from that death. A soon as you pop some rounds off in the north west, it's already time to go.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tired

Generally agree on shots fired = leave the area immediately. I do wonder sometimes whether a short withdrawal into the nearest treeline and then setting up an ambush would be a good move.

Jia, I understand that it's a lot of food to gather, but we haven't had too many difficulties if we've got a couple of packs of matches, some hatchets and knives. I'm beginning to stock up on canteens so that water resupply is a little easier. Without those critical survival items, then the group would need to do some raids. Those supplies make it a whole different game, though.

I'd like to get a group with those supplies, and then just head for the western edge of the map and go directly north.