Old 3rd June 2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 956

Default Interview with Dean "Rocket" Hall

Interview on 3news nz about Dayz.

Kiwi zombie game lurches from strength to strength - Game 3 - Entertainment - Video - 3 News

Last edited by Jia; 13th June 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo in the title! I'm German, I can't help it.
spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th June 2012, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1187

wow, really cool video! I had no idea rocket was actually BI employee.

I think what this game really needs the most at the moment is server infrastructure - most of the connection issues and most of the bugs actually are not due to bad mod or bad arma2 (although lots of these exist of course, curse you my arch nemesis, the rock) most of the issues are caused by the fact that a local server (nz1 or anz1 for example) needs to double check with the main database server and then all sorts of junk happens when that server doesn't respond or doesn't process things due to load.

if this guy was showered in server infrastructure like he deservers we'd get much more reliable initial connections, less crashes/disconnects/etc - those bugs which i think are haunting the game the most (although if stationary rock damage to stationary players got nerfed I would not complain)

Also I think I read somewhere that the reason some servers are on 1.6 and some are on 1.7 is because the main servers can't handle getting every server onto 1.7 at the same time.

Lastly, while I do agree that the development needs to be funded somehow I do not think it's a good idea to move away from ARMA2 (and 3 in the future) - the reason being is that the ARMA2 gets such a huge amount of development in terms of weapons, engine, physics, graphics, map, etcetc - while DayZ is just such a small fraction of that - props to the guy for making DayZ mod but he didn't make the entire ARMA2 game and shouldn't be expected to. DayZ without ARMA2 would not be as good.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Yeah the server issues are certainly the biggest barrier at the moment and I think it's past the point where it's a victim of it's own success. There's other stuff going on that is just generating far too much desync and (I imagine) other issues with game servers losing connection to the master server.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 515

Angelic

4 1/2 stars out of 5 - .................................. for an alpha..........
crazy but i'd almost agree - has a brilliant platform to build from though

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

I think we'll see a lot more stuff like this in future - look at what happened with Mincraft ? went from alpha to beta and started charging - made millions! Alpha to beta transition was also meaningless since they are adding new features to beta all the time - all while charging for what you could in theory call unfinished product.

You'd laugh at this if this came from a major AAA publisher but from indie developers it seems sort of reasonable to me. Especially since both dayz and minecraft are great games despite bugs/alpha/beta stages. I (and i know many others) who paid $20-40 for DayZ mod since we got arma2 purely for dayz mod.
Old 12th June 2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

Found another cool interview - even though it is sort of old (12th may) it has some awesome details, namely: rocket wants to put in dog companions! O.O

Day Z interview — how zombies + Arma 2 created gaming’s best story machine | PC Gamer
Old 13th June 2012, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

And another interview, this time from the wonderful Rock Paper Shotgun gaming blog:
Interview: What's Next For Day Z
Old 15th June 2012, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

Finally got around to reading that rock paper shotgun interview. It is really good - I really enjoy reading what that guy (Dean Hall) says because it is always so direct, there's always this strange sense of "actually you know what, hold on, i am going to add this change right now push upload and ok it's now live, yeah <totally crazy but awesome idea> is now in, enjoy 1.7.0b"

I wish it focused more on actual plans for the future/development - I think maybe the author of the article is too used to dealing with middle men/managers, PR people, etc that never have specifics, never know anything good and/or can't share much. Maybe he didn't realise he could in fact ask this guy about programming limitations on zombie AI or his thoughts on spawn rates not based on linear percentages or well, juicy technical stuff!
Old 15th June 2012, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7638 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

haha i love this line:

Quote:
And who hasnít talked about what they would do in a zombie apocalypse? Even at parties and stuff after a few drinks.
nope - cant say I've ever had that conversation

I dont go to too many parties though either

i haven't played this but I'm amazed at the concept and the following - saw the Good Game review - looks like a great mod
SJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 06:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ777 View Post
haha i love this line:

nope - cant say I've ever had that conversation

I dont go to too many parties though either

i haven't played this but I'm amazed at the concept and the following - saw the Good Game review - looks like a great mod
this actually happened last weekend:

my gf: seriously though why is the whole z-day thing so interesting to you
me: it's sort of like a what-if fantasy where you explore stuff
gf: wait what you fantasise about everyone you love dying and becoming a zombie!?
me: of course, who doesn't
gf: oh my god that is horrible
me: there's a difference between an impossible and unrealistic fantasy an an actual intention to kill everyone.
gf: i guess. so would you rescue me on this Z-day ?
me: baby, we're both unfit so we'd probably be over-eatting on brains on z-day
gf: aww you always know how to say the wrongest things.

As to the mod, it's really really unpolished and buggy ...but even with that it's still awesome fun!