TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 9th June 2012, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 583

Default Interesting

I have to say, this game has peaked my interest more than any other in a long time. I'm wondering, how's the replay and longevity value for this game? Do you see yourselves playing this for a long time?

Old 9th June 2012, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1219

Tired

Value is a hard one, because apart from the outright purchase of Arma, which was a year ago, possibly more, the mod is free.

I do see that it is something that I'll eventually get frustrated and rage-quit for a month or six, but it's still an alpha, so there's a lot of development coming, and with it, lots of interesting changes. As long as there is a good group of people on TS, it'll remain enjoyable.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Jia
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 2914

The only problem I see with this game is that there is no "endgame" per se. Your primary motivation when you start the game is to survive; i.e. collect food, find water and gather ammo. Once you've found things like a hatchet, a hunting knife and matches, food isn't much of a problem anymore. Adding more items to your gear (a nice gun, binoculars, etc.), you'll reach a point where you're beginning to wonder what's next.

You can easily avoid zombies if you know how to, so the only real threat in the game is its PvP aspect. Interaction with other players (as a bandit or a friendly) really is the only thing that's left once you've optimized your gear. I'm pretty sure a bunch of people out there are playing bandits because they don't know what else to do in the game. I've been running around as a medic, helping random people who are close to death by providing them with meat, painkillers and morphine, and hoping that they won't shoot me in the back in return (and so far I've been lucky!).

One "endgame" thing to do is to repair a vehicle. But once you've achieved that, you're back to square one, thinking: "Okay, now what?"

But make no mistake, you'll have many many hours worth of fun until you reach that point.
Old 9th June 2012, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 583

Hmm, good points. I like the sandbox part of it though and I miss that adrenaline rush. I'm thinking guild vs. guild or something similar could be a blast down the road. Watching that chopper raid was pretty awesome too.

I'm gonna hop on the GW2 beta this weekend but I might just pick this up next week. Thanks for the input.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 648

Sleepy

I played alot of ARMA before dayz with PR and other mods aswell as ARMA Dom servers all up it is a great game with alot of play time and I have clocked 210hours+ so far between all mods and normal maps.

Its a great game

Zeddy
Zedakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7040

Paranoid

The thing is, Dayz is a mod of ARMAII. I don't particularly care about zombies hence I'm not that interested in playing it, but ARMAII itself probably has more mods than any other game I can think of and it's openly encouraged by the developers. If you have even a passing interest in a military type sim then Dayz is just a bonus.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9700 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

What all the other guys have said.

Arma 2 is a game in it's self. It has both single player and multiplayer aspects to it that will give you many hours of enjoyment. You can create your own little missions if you wish also with the built in map editor.

DayZ is just a mod running off the back of the Arma 2 engine. It utilises one of the Arma 2 maps for it's world. If you get sick of zombies, there is more than your money's worth in the campaign and multiplayer modes for this game.

As a mate described Arma 2 to me once:

Quote:
Arma 2 is like an amusement park. The question is what ride do you want to go on next?

Sig created by Juganort
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote