Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range > DayZ and ArmA (Public)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th June 2012, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 465

Breezy
Default DAYZ Needs a definitive and SAFE installation and update method

Seen the community enthusiasm for the DayZ mod. I was midly interested in the hubbub, so thought I would install the mod.

HAH! Yeah right.

The official installer and updater '6 Updater' wreaks of a hackers heaven, with a bucket load of extras programs and uninvited 'associate' programs loaded onto your PC in the process.

Trying to manually install is just ridiculously tedious. Even if I loved the game, I would give up caring with such an ad hoc system.

Unless someone knows a simple, safe, virus free way of installing not just the Dayz mod, but Battle Eye, and the plethora of other programs that dont seem to mesh, then the Day Z mod is really not worth a look.

Hopefully Bohemia Interactive are offering assistance to the modders to streamline the installation of their mod. This is especially pertinent considering the interest the DayZ modders have put back into their product.

Modders.... K.I.S.S...... or fail.

Last edited by Ghoull; 17th June 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Ghoull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th June 2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1225

Tired

You're whinging because it's not easy to install? Serious? It's alpha build of a mod, developed by one of the guys that works for BIS.

I'd written up a five step guide to installing the mod as my initial response, but I don't think that it's what you're looking for. If you're not prepared to do a manual install (and it's very, very easy), you're not prepared to use Six (which is simply awesome, and not really something I'd call bloatware), and even the official installer is something you're not interested in, I'm not sure what anyone can do to help you. It's a bit like asking if we know a way that you can install Gran Turismo on a PS without inserting the disk.

As for failing, the player numbers present a very different picture to me.

You have to remember that it's a mod, built on a continuously improving base simulator. Keep your base game up to date with the beta patches here: Beta patch

When you've installed the update, create a shortcut to the beta exe and put it on your desktop.

There are about a million guides on how to install mods in Arma 2. They all consist of creating a folder ('@dayz') in your main Arma 2 OA folder, and then another folder called 'addons' within that. Put the mod files in that, and right click on the Arma 2 OA beta exe shortcut on your desktop, then add '-nosplash -mod=@dayz' in the target box, after the .exe in the properties. That should do the trick.

Battleye should do it's own updating. If it needs to be done manually (I've had to do it once in about two years), then worry about that if it happens. It's such a minor issue that I don't think I've heard anyone discuss it on TS.

It's not hard, and it's well worth it.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1182

I agree that the current situation is a bit crazy - there's 3 versions of dayZ (1.6, 1.7 and 1.7.1), then there are the beta client patches which in theory everyone should be updating daily but that's a bit of ask.

both six and worron have issues and every now and then i hear "only solution" being offered to newbie players as "don't use that program, it doesn't currently work"

launching, changing versions of the mod, shortcut messing about - while personally I have zero issues with all of that, it is too much to ask from new players.

Still as mentioned above, it is alpha/beta test of the mod, the dev's main concern at the moment is development of the core game rather than making sure everyone can get in - in fact the mod was built for a single server - the current few hundred thousand people playing is unexpected to say the least.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1451

Lurking

i installed the game for the first time yesterday
was pretty easy as i got the ARMA game and expansion via steam

just followed the install guide on wiki and looked around here for tips
was a little messy towards the end due to the update being released, but got ingame late last night for a few hours

seems the main issue with people getting stuck at loading screen was an error that was constantly spamming chat, something like "Battleye error #16"

i did the BE upated that was linked here and was all good
on Proudmoore
Dela Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1182

Joining games is a lot better than it used to be - in 1.6 it was SHOCKINGLY bad - then in 1.7, helped with beta patches to the game client, this is now a lot better! You still get stuck sometimes on receiving data/creating character or even loading but it is nowhere near as often as previously.

As to battleye error #16 - this is to do with the latest beta client having a conflict with battleye. It needs to be resolved at server level OR you can downgrade your beta client build number. The later not being entirely recommended. As time goes by more and more servers will get their config fixed. In the meantime if you get that script error #16 just play on different server.

Hope that helps! Any issues? post up - the game is hard to play, hard to install and hard to get to work but ultimately quite fun and rewarding.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 31

Buzzed

Up until yesterday my install/update was simple. I used Worrom to get the DayZ uptodate and used the beta patches self install and the TOG scripts to run everything. The most annoying part was the seemingly daily beta updates which always kept me of my prefered server initially.
And then 1.7.1 happened. I don't know why but right now installation is broken. Whats worse is that in the process it has broken the game so I can't play any other version. It seem sthat every time I reinstall the beta, it breaks DAYZ, and if I roll back the beta DAYZ won't run as I don't have the most current beta. To top it off the worrom updater now deletes all its downloads each time it starts, so if I force and update it redownloads everything, and my allowance is rapidly going down the drain. Its lucky my machine is off to the shop for a couple of days. Perhaps by the time it gets back worrom and the beta will play nice. or else I'm going to have to do the whole thing manually
GidsTrollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 465

Breezy

I have tried Worrom install several times now, and I even tried downloading direct from the mirrors. They NEVER work for me. Seems the mod is so popular that I can never even get the data down onto my PC. And no, I have no trouble with other data downloads on other games and mods.

I have my fingers crossed that they get smart and use Valve to assist with mod downloads or something.

The current system and, most importantly, demand, seems to outstrip the means.
Ghoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4571

Fine

Yeah I got completed effed off with the game a few weeks back, spent about 3 nights and didn't really get a decent game in and thought I'd come back when it had matured a tad. Love the game to bits and expect to enjoy the hell out of when everything is tidy
Old 24th June 2012, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9828 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoull View Post
I have tried Worrom install several times now, and I even tried downloading direct from the mirrors. They NEVER work for me. Seems the mod is so popular that I can never even get the data down onto my PC. And no, I have no trouble with other data downloads on other games and mods.

I have my fingers crossed that they get smart and use Valve to assist with mod downloads or something.

The current system and, most importantly, demand, seems to outstrip the means.
Ghoull,

I have made an easy step by step guide on how to install and update using Six Updater on Youtube. See this thread for more info:

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...eta-patch.html

From the sounds of it, you are using the Steam version. I don't use Steam, but from what I understand:
  1. you need to install Arma 2 and Combined Ops.
  2. Run each one and then close them.
  3. Install DayZ and the beta patch using my method (shown on Youtube)
  4. Then ensure Steam is run in "Administrator mode".

I am pretty sure this is all you need to do. Let me know how you go.

Sig created by Juganort
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7143

Paranoid

Six Updater - FTW. Even the launcher will go away and download everything you need to get going with basically 1 click. Decided to check this out after a few rounds of ACE to see if it's worth pursuing - I don't get the fascination with zombies, and it was about a 30 minute download while I was playing BF3 on my other screen.
Purg is online now   Reply With Quote