The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   DayZ and ArmA (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/dayz-arma-public/)
-   -   Concealment in Arma 2 - I did not know this. (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/dayz-arma-public/440461-concealment-arma-2-i-did-not-know.html)

red_one 27th June 2012 12:38 PM

Concealment in Arma 2 - I did not know this.

DayZ - Imgur

From A picture comparison/guide for staying hidden as best as possible with different camos and tricks. Also showcasing the little known "grass concealment" feature in ARMA2. : dayz

Veilo 27th June 2012 01:51 PM

Mostly obvious stuff but the bit about lowering your head causing you to "sink" into the grass - had no idea about this! Will definitely be using that a lot more in the near future.

Noises 27th June 2012 04:28 PM

This was also helpful.

Deranger 28th June 2012 12:27 AM

Quality video :)

Veilo 28th June 2012 12:03 PM

Red and I tested this last night. Here are our observations:

Very interesting - what it boils down to is that if on your screen you are hiding in grass - then someone looking at you from very far away (and thus the grass is invisible to them) then you (the person hiding) will sort of sink into the ground - from the perspective of the observer.

The taller the grass the more you sink in. Mind you this is just about grass, not bushes/etc.

If you are wearing an alice backpack - you're stuffed cause it will never sink in - no matter how good the grass is - your whole body might sink in but the alice pack will always stick out.

Exception to the above is the ghillie suit of course which shows no backpack.

Next: if you are moving, even if through tall grass, you sink in a lot less.Super tall/thick grass will cause you to sink in of course but never as much as being still.

Elevation of the observer appears to have little to no effect: I was on very high ground compared to Red when he sank in. If I was closer and the grass was in effect and this concealment mechanic was not in effect then he would be plainly visible to me - since my angle of observation was large enough to bypass the grass - ie I'd be looking at him from above almost.

Lastly, do not ever look up. :eek: You look like a seal doing salute to the sun yogga. Your upper body lifts up, your head going about half a meter into the air, with the business end of your gun about 1meter from the ground. When using grass for concealment, always look as low as possible and use alt-freelook for looking.

Biggus 28th June 2012 10:54 PM

How Not To Be Seen - YouTube

Deranger 28th June 2012 11:43 PM

Regarding the Alice Pack. If you were needing to maximise concealment as your part a team's strategy then would the Czech Vest Pouch be of use? (I assume it is not visible on your back and it's size would put you in a specific role whereby others in your team would hold items necessary for your survival, and you would then just have the bare minimum due to your role at the time, e.g. covering a squad as they raid if you didn't have the ghillie suit)

I only say this as at present the existence of the chest pouch seems pointless (and probably still is) and you have seen that the alice pack makes it more difficult to be concealed (and does the 24 Coyote pack have the same problem?).

HamiHarr 3rd August 2012 01:33 PM

I was glancing through old threads and decided to bump this one for other players who might not know about some of the subtleties of concealment in DayZ.

I have a ghillie at the moment, so the issue of backpack exposure is not a problem :D

I'd like to know if there is an answer to deranger's question; re: the czech vest pouch. I've come across it a few times and wondered what the point of it was. If the benefit was added concealment in grass, then I can see it being of tactical use in the way deranger described.

Veilo 3rd August 2012 01:37 PM

Re vest pouch - it doesn't stick out of your back like a hump so it doesn't cause issues with concealment - that's the point/only advantage of that item.

HamiHarr 3rd August 2012 01:52 PM

It'd be cool if you could wear the vest pouch and a backpack. I remember we used to occasionally do that in the army, i.e., have our webbing, main backpack and a day pack on the chest. We didn't do it all the time, just when we had a shit load of gear to carry (e.g., doing resupply runs) and deifnitely not when on patrol. The game makes enough concessions to carrying capacity (e.g., being able to carry an engine block).