Old 21st July 2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 648

Sleepy
Default Was bound to happen but didnt think this quick

The War Z

Zeddy
Zedakiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st July 2012, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Star Trek Online
Dangerous - Post: 613

Tired

Well they say they have been in development longer than DayZ has been out but.. yeah a bit coincidental isn't it, especially as noone has heard of it before now.

My guess is if they were in development longer they probably changed a bunch of elements when DayZ became popular, including perhaps the name?
Old 21st July 2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Elite - Post: 4438

Is this being put out by Zynga?
Old 21st July 2012, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

War Z is a book I think by Max Brooks. I didn't read that one but read his other one 'Zombie Survival Guide'. Was a good read. Max is Mel Brooks son and is a comedy writer.

My guess is the DayZ devs were exposed to the book along with the War Z devs.

EDIT:
World War Z.
http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral.../dp/0739366408
Movie coming out in 2013.

Last edited by Sp!at; 21st July 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Sp!at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

Big backpacks. Sky blue baseball caps. What a coincidence.

I also liked this from the comments. On the left, an image from the War Z website. On the right, a still from The Walking Dead.

And on signing up for the beta, I'm told to "check back soon for my survivor's user name." Survivor, huh?

Imitation. Not only the sincerest form of flattery, but also the least creative.

Last edited by Noises; 21st July 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 850

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!at View Post
War Z is a book I think by Max Brooks. I didn't read that one but read his other one 'Zombie Survival Guide'. Was a good read. Max is Mel Brooks son and is a comedy writer.

My guess is the DayZ devs were exposed to the book along with the War Z devs.

EDIT:
World War Z.
Amazon.com: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (9780739366400): Max Brooks, Various: Books
Movie coming out in 2013.

World War Z is a very good book. Far better then the deluge of zombie novels that followed it.

All indications are that the movie will be pretty bad - lots of changes to the basics of the book (fast rather than slow zombies like in the book, near instant zombiefication rather than hours or days etc). Plus there has been a ton of re-scripting & reshooting.

A killing machine cunningly disguised as an idiot.

----------------------------------------------
"It's OK, BattlePope is the natural nemesis of the Littlebird." - Rebroken
Battle Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1203

Thumbs down Zombie Survival Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Pope View Post
World War Z is a very good book. Far better then the deluge of zombie novels that followed it.

All indications are that the movie will be pretty bad - lots of changes to the basics of the book (fast rather than slow zombies like in the book, near instant zombiefication rather than hours or days etc). Plus there has been a ton of re-scripting & reshooting.
I started reading The Zombie Survival Guide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is the first book in that series.

I did not like it and did not finish it - basically it was trying too hard at creating science fiction - while not being very good at the science part.

When you read proper sci fi - you can sort of get good ideas about actual science - there's usually a very very clear leap between the actual/real science and the "fiction part" - a lot of hard-sci-fi authors for example explain why faster than light speed is not possible. A lot of space-opera-sci-fi explain red shift of star light. Heck, even the softest space opera will usually give you good ideas about theory of special relativity At absolutely worst you can look up stuff like "what the hell are ions and why do they always get accelerated!" and learn some good stuff (if you're not into physics/chemistry to being with!)

And then there is zombie survival guide Whole time I was reading it, i felt like I a hammer was hitting the part of my brain that stores my biology knowledge. There's no break between "this is actual stuff you could learn in biology" and "I just made it all up lol" - it's all very very badly made up.

At least half of the book is just random pseudo-medical/biological jargon thrown about with zero regard as to what it actually means

You can learn more astronomy from deep space 9 than you can learn biology from zombie survival guide.

Now you are probably saying "lol veilo who reads fiction to learn something why not just learn a book instead lol" Fair enough - but the zombie survival guide is still not entertaining - imagine a star trek episode where nothing happens except for scotty explaining how the warp drive works - using borderline meaningless terms. The only possible excitement comes when he explains what the procedures for different engine failures.

That's basically zombie survival guide - in excruciating detail How many hours can a zombie run, how many hours for different stages of the infection, etc.

Reading this book felt like studying - except what is going into your head is total rubbish that is not useful in any way whatsoever. Learning about the history of the numenor or istari in lord of the rings FELT more useful.

Would not recommend
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 04:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Wow Veilo, that is exactly the opposite reaction I had of Zombie Survival Guide. I really enjoyed it and really liked the depth of research Max Brooks presented in the book in a slightly tongue-in-cheek manner.

It's been years since I read that book but I still know exactly the steps I would take if there was a zombie outbreak. 1. Fill the bath with water. 2. Barricade the stairs with furniture. Etc etc. I thought it was great.

Also, every zombie movie or game made since that book borrows heavily from it.

Each to their own I guess - but this was a book I really enjoyed at the time. I read that and then started to read The Walking Dead graphic novels afterwards and they worked well as companion pieces.