Old 23rd July 2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 33

Amazed
Default SideStraffe interviews Rocket

?DayZ: Developer Interview - SideStrafe Chats With Rocket - YouTube

Check it out
Dayzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd July 2012, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

TLDR?
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1191

Yeah - any actual info ? - for us playing from work

Is it one of these "dayz is so exciting wowow how did you get this idea? how do you feel about all the popularity are you totally wololo ? great, what are your plans for the future? my eyes didn't just glaze over. Btw i tried your game and i died lol how lol is that lol"

game journalism - worst journalism of all time
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

that's why i asked for a TLDR - i'm not watching a video just to find out they're covering the same !#@$ as everybody else.
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

It's also really depressing to read/watch these interviews cause early on you can almost hear rocket's soul die as 100th noob interviewer tells him "i heard your game is really hard" or "how did you get the idea for this game in the first place?"

then as interview goes on, he powers through yet another noob asks him about exactly the same pointless stuff that almost every single other interviewer asks him about, the same tripe that is almost template for game interviews.

and then he slowly picks up again, starts throwing in random stuff that he never said before "OH MAN I AM TOTALLY EXCITED ABOUT DOG COMPANIONS THEY ARE GOING IN NEXT PATCH" and slowly gets more and more excited as he starts to totally veer away from the questions and onto 100s of his random ideas "i want players to be able to build their own buildings!"

The only amusing thing about rocket interviews is that there is a huge difference between actual interview videos and the ones that are entirely printed text.

The printed ones pick 1-2 ideas that rocket throws around "FREE TO PLAY DAYZ PLUS MINECRAFT MMO COMMING SOON" and make it a huge title and blow it out of proportion like they just got exclusive announcement without realizing rocket just shoots random ideas all over the place all the time.

The video ones are somewhat better because they can't just focus on one thing (but they do try sometimes which is also funny ie "wait wait wait did you seriously just say you want to write your own engine from scratch!??!") - plus you get to watch the interviewer suspect but not quite realise that rocket is saying "wow you are a huge noob at everything" with almost every answer.
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

That was pretty hard to watch, at one point I honestly thought rockets just doing this to troll the interviewer because hes sick of answering the same questions over and over. All he wants to do is work on the game and make it better not answer another pointless question about if the games hard.

That being said the estimated survival time now is 49 minutes up from the 28 it used to be so that's good.
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

No it's not - people should die. Often. Zombies should be scary.
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

Default tl;dr

Q: how many people working on dayz
A: rocket still solo on actual mod code as before, tons of people helping with db/web/art/etc. there are 2-3k servers currently.

Q: "going back to modding days of quake1" (I talk like this when i smoke weed also).
A: bis supports mods.

4:50 - rocket talks how reddit/4chan/forums/blogs > gaming journalism/media.

7:00 - decent question - do you think it's time to abandon or scale down "anti-game" aspect of the design
A: rocket epxlains diff between quick/easy fun, realism and authenticity of experience. (dayz is the later). also rocket subtly trolls "world war z" and their "list of features". very well played.

Q: there should be reprecussions for killing another human being (lewl)
A: no, i am not goign to put some mechanic in. Rather than taking options away, I want to give more options. I want to put in end-game so there's less ubers hunting noobs. but hmans are supposed to be the ultimate danger in the game. Wants to add group/clan mechanics!!

11:00
Q: there are pvp'ers and carebears. I know the pvp is what this game is about but have you thought about adding pve servers?
A: (SHOULD HAVE SAID FCK OFF BACK TO WOW like he said before hahah): pve has already been done. I want a sandbox pvp game so i am making sandbox pvp game. go back to l4d. If we lose a bunch of players at whom this game is not aimed at, that's OK.

17:00
Q: wtf no starting food/water
A: you're probably too stoned to understand my reasoning but I'll try to explain anyway.

19:00 Rocket: i don't think this game is as hard as it should be. it's going to be harder/harsher. there should be MORE of a penalty to death as soon as I figure out what it should be.

20:00
Q: have you considered random starting loot so 1 person starts with water bottle, another with bandages.
A: rocket gives introduction to game theory. Then says it's an ok idea.

22:55
Q: there should be classes so people don't gank clerics.
A: erm no. Have you heard of a story of this guy who silently walks around hatcheting noobs' legs off then when they crawl away then he finishes them off. That's magic and I don't want to do anything that would prevent people from that sort of stuff.

Q: so you're saying pve players should go play pve games?
A: My challange at the moment is that there is no end-game for end game players. Everyone asking for mechanics for anti-grief/anti-pk is literally turbo noob. calls mmo "knee jerk reactions by marketing" fair cop imo.

Q: you're a cool dude cause you can do whatever you want.
A: I don't want to be arrogant but yes, yes I am.

28:00
Q: food, water, weapons, now kill people. But you want more end game ?
A: Once you master survival - security, then knowledge of the world, then you should thrive. but you should never be safe. Still options/end game needs to have options.

Ok, that's all I have time for during my lunch break Someone do the 2nd half.

Summary of first half:

Interviewer is stoned which is mildly amusing. Completely and utterly misunderstands the concept of emergent/sandbox gameplay. Continues to ask for an easier pve game despite being told he's a noob and it's not going to happen unless he goes back to wow/l4d

Last edited by Veilo; 23rd July 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamV View Post
All he wants to do is work on the game and make it better not answer another pointless question about if the games hard. .
Do you ever get the vibe that a lot ofl these interviewers give off a vibe of "you're just some poor indie dev and if i give you my 50 page views you will finally be able to afford a proper hat irl so you should be really grateful, maybe subsrcibe to my youtube channel cause it's so cool"

except rocket is like "i don't do advertising, i don't need advertising. my career or even ego isn't raiding on this side hobby project. I do enjoy talking about dayz though so lets do this"
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

awesome.