Old 27th July 2012, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk
Default The "Oh god why does my M1911 suck now" thread.

Here's why:

It's because of the 1.62 ARMA patch.
  • Makarov: 889 damage, down from 2000
  • G17, M9, M9 SD, PDW, MP5A5, MP5SD6, Bizon PP-19 SD: 889 damage, down from 1389
  • Revolver, M1911: 1389 damage, down from 4500
  • M1014, Remington 870, Double-barreled: slugs do 4500 damage, down from 6722
  • Lee Enfield: 6722 damage, down from 12500 (audible range 162m, down from 234m)
  • AK-74, AKS-74U, AKS-74 Kobra: 2722 damage, down from 3555

Weapon damage nerfs in ArmA2 1.62: Full details! : dayz

Old 27th July 2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

Poor Lee-enfield - no more noob pvp!
Old 27th July 2012, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_one View Post
Poor Lee-enfield - no more noob pvp!
Not as good a dinner bell anymore either. Audible range cut by ~70m. A sad day for hungry zeds everywhere.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 540

Sneaky

I wonder how much they are taking DayZ into consideration.

Being obsessed with DayZ as we are we all forget that it doesn't exist in its current form without ArmA II and they are an equally important community.

However, with DayZ being BI's current meal ticket, are these meant to be changes more to affect DayZ or Arma II?

Jacomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1189

That explains a lot actually O.O

Also, got sooo many nice kills with lee enfield last night

Best one was the last one of the night, weirdly empty electro, daytime, i come out of the shop and see way down the road a survivor running up the street from hospital. We both see each other at the same time, stop t the same time and start firing. Me with lee enfield, him with m16a2.

Lee enfield put him down and unconcious with first hit! I walked up to him and finished him off. He got no hits on me. Not sure if he was bad or if m16a2 doesn't do well at ~100-200m range. I am guessing the former.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Drunk

was it the acog? that thing sucks at close range
Old 27th July 2012, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1189

Hey guys,

I have way too much time so I did some quick checking. The question that I had was "which side arm is the best for zombie killing" So then I started thinking, what makes a good zombie killing weapon: they all put out similar "damage per second", they all have crappy range (20-30m max). Next up: if you get them indoors, they all are just as good - slowly line up headshots, relax.

So I think one of the key metrics for what makes a good sidearm vs zombies is how many of them you can kill per inventory slot. Inventory slots for pistol ammo are limited and most people carry 1-3 bandages there already, others like m203 rounds in there too - so ammo efficiency is a big thing in my opinion.

Consider a zombie has 4400 blood (dayzwiki). The following rounds required to kill a zombie: 45acp - 4 hits. 9mm - 5hits. So lets check by magazine size:

How many zeds per magazine/inventory slot arranged in terms of ammo economy:

PDW with 30 rounds kills 6 zeds
G17 with 17 rounds kills 3.4 zeds
m9/sd with 15 rounds kills 3 zeds
m1911 with 7 rounds 1.75 zeds
revolver with 6 rounds 1.5 zeds
makarov with 7 rounds kills 1.4 zeds

Note that the bottom 3 will only kill 1 zed before they have to re-loaded. Also, we're talking about body shots here. as far as i know, all headshots from all weapons put down zeds so doesn't really apply.

PDW is a clear winner in the player vs zombie department in my opinion. PDW ammo is hard to find of course but in a pinch you can just substitute other ammo types which in turn puts them on par with these guns in terms of ammo efficiency.

I think that while m1911/revolver have nice damage (don't forget, ammo re-combining is getting fixed soon) these two guns are slowly becoming less ideal.

I think this trend is also sort of inline/balanced vs ammo/weapon availability:
mak/revolver/m1911 are very very common - you can find them in almost any spawn pile. Meanwhile the better weapons are increasingly rare - with PDW being towards the upper end of rarity.

I think in terms of pvp - if you are using pistols for pvp, which in many cases is fine - the metric should be different: damage per second - because the pvp encounter using pistol is mostly about "how quickly can i put him down before he gets some rounds into me" - but I don't have rate of fire stats for pistols at hand. However, I think m1911 would be very high because it fires so damn quick (and higher damage) - with PDW being either first or equal first in terms of getting rounds into dudes - provided you can remember to set it to auto instead of semi
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1610

Lurking

That explains it, there also seemed to be a lot more Zeds than there should have in Drozhino than I expected, there was at least 20 and there was only 2 of us. Agro'ed them from ages away as well, and it was dark!
Old 27th July 2012, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilo View Post

PDW with 30 rounds kills 6 zeds
Doh, I got one of these a few days ago with a few mags from the hosp tents in cherno, but I glitched it when upgrading to an alice backpack, along with all my lovely morphine. On the upside, I got to use it a couple of times before I lost it.

Good post, thanks.
HamiHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1610

Lurking

Thanks for the post

I would have had more luck the other night throwing my Makarov at them!