Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range > DayZ and ArmA (Public)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th July 2012, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk
Default "Will I get banned for using a hacked weapon I found on a body?"

Rocket:

Quote:
Xeno, on 26 July 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:
Quote:
If I pick up hacked weapons, will I be banned? I mean like, a ban for sure. Not a "maybe". Thanks,

Xeno

PS. I think the hackers name is "Mike", I just took him out from the ground with an AS50. May not be him though because I found a chopper randomly earlier.
No

This rumour has no basis to it whatsoever.

Using a hacked vehicle/weapon will identify you during database analysis, and your character may receive special logging attention in the database, but you will not receive a ban without creating them yourself.
Hackers - New Player Discussion - Day Z Forums

Old 27th July 2012, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1611

Lurking

Thanks for the tip! Being a n00b I am worried about that, cause I don't really know all the weapons and whats what (and usually don't survive for long enough)
Old 27th July 2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1191

I can't remember what was more awesome: dreamy AS50 TWS or hatcheting up the hacker who spawned it.

Also - if you don't know if a weapon is legit because you're excited/new/etc - no worries. but if you actually 100% know that a weapon does not exist in dayz proper and has in fact been hacked in by someone else- probably not OK to actually use it, ethically speaking.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1611

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veilo View Post
I can't remember what was more awesome: dreamy AS50 TWS or hatcheting up the hacker who spawned it.

Also - if you don't know if a weapon is legit because you're excited/new/etc - no worries. but if you actually 100% know that a weapon does not exist in dayz proper and has in fact been hacked in by someone else- probably not OK to actually use it, ethically speaking.
Cool thanks.
Old 27th July 2012, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1229

Tired

I've taken to dumping suspicious stuff in a lake.

I had a Mk48 the other night, and with the duping debacle, I took the decision to ditch it too. There's two separate considerations at play here. The first consideration is the rules established by Rocket about what's bannable and what's not.

The second is the risk of being banned by TOG for using duped items, or ammo duping. I'd argue the point that we're play testing an alpha and so this shouldn't be a real issue, but from what I've heard, the reality is very different.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
One eyed green monster
Elite - Post: 4170 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Folks, even taking into consideration that this game is in an open "alpha" phase and as such, the developers are expecting feedback from users regarding glitches and possible hacks, I would HIGHLY recommend that you avoid using hacked/duped weapons irrespective of who made them and irrespective of whether the game developers are "ok" with it or not.

TOG still has an AUP and a CoC that we expect all members to abide by regardless of the game they play. Let me quote 2 sections of the CoC;

Quote:
Cheating undermines the very foundation of the TOG spirit. Those found to have cheated, assisted or encouraged others in cheating have no place in TOG.
Quote:
We expect that the actions and communications of our members will promote TOG in a positive manner and will not bring TOG into disrepute.
I understand that part of an alpha phase is to report known glitches, but this does not include nor require you to continue to use or partake in these glitches.

If you are aware that the weapon is duped/hacked, I recommend you don't use it.

Signature pimped by Juganort
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post

I understand that part of an alpha phase is to report known glitches, but this does not include nor require you to continue to use or partake in these glitches.

If you're not sure about a weapon or item you've found check here
Weapons - DayZ Wiki

If you're actively testing beta (or alpha) software you shouldn't need instruction on what's permissible and what the protocols are for testing exploits (or even hacks, if you're doing the authoring,) If you're not testing and you don't know what the protocols are, err on the side of caution for your own sake and for TOGs rep.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1229

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Hacked items, of course, don't even think twice about touching one. Everyone with a week's experience pretty much knows what should be in game. But the duping issue isn't so simple.

Can it be assumed that not being aware that an item you're carrying is duped is okay? A month or so ago, I pulled two NVGs out of a tent. I wasn't even aware at the time that duping existed, but looking back on it now, I can't help but assume that they were actually duped items.

This is really one of those grey areas that will be a bit of a minefield for the division going forward.
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

Don't know why I hadn't thought of this before. It sure would solve a lot of problems... Consider this, if you're legitimately testing the changes to code that allow duping, you have no reason to dupe things like rare weapons or items. For the sake of testing the integrity of the software, duping something as simple and innocuous as an empty tin or a pack of chem sticks will permit you to test the exact same mechanic but without the possibility of someone accusing you of using an exploit to your personal advantage. Problem solved.

Test openly, responsibly and ethically. Actively and promptly report everything you do that isn't within the intended game mechanics on the Day Z bug subforums, or don't even try to call what you're doing testing. If you do discover a bug, I'll always be interested in helping you try to replicate and document it, I like figuring those kinds of things out. We shouldn't have to be afraid of helping the game devs squish bugs, just be totally up front about what you're doing and bare in mind the law has been laid down for TOG members re the AUP and CoC, so think outside the box and test in a way that leave your actions beyond question.

Last edited by Noises; 30th July 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1191

Not sure if "i was actually testing" is a valid defense against cheating/duping/etc. Even if you are actually testing.

One of things to consider is what if someone else sees you? What if they post on their own private clan forum "i saw a tog guy duping/cheating/etc" - suddenly the number of people who hold tog in low regard is rapidly growing. Then it spreads by word of mouth. And that is all before you can say "nah wait seriously, i am actually a qualified software tester" - by the time it comes out on a public forum it's already too late.

That's probably why even legit testing is either flat out not allowed or very very borderline/greyarea.
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote