Old 30th July 2012, 11:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1469

I think you're missing the point so let me ask you a question: How did you feel when you found the hatchet?

That being said some servers don't get rebooted often enough, if all the loot has been taken and there is nothing left but trash it's time to find a server with an active admin. Good servers get rebooted every 6 - 12 hours, some every 4 hours (great for finding chopper crashes). These servers have weapons on them because the loot piles havn't been cycled into junk.

But even on a server with only junk you can pick up the trash and drop it outside the building and wait several minutes and more loot will respawn but you have to clear the piles completely. It may be more junk but that's the luck of the draw, keep at it and you will get something.
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30th July 2012, 12:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 564

Sneaky

I think we're wasting our breath here, guys.

I've been gaming for a long time...like a very long time...and this is the most visceral and tense game I have played in many a year...perhaps ever.

I have the feeling that if you're not taken in by this game straight away that its not really the sort of game that grows on you over time. While I do think that the game is incredibly enhanced by teaming up with other TOG members if you're not looking for this type of experience then no matter how much they patch it up you're not going to buy into it. It's a shame because it's the most amazing gaming experience I think you can have. No scripted shooter is going to be able to match the incredible range of experiences you can have in DayZ.

I took a few weeks playing the role of lone survivor before I hooked up with the other TOG members. It was a lonely, terrifying and frustrating experience and I loved it.
Old 30th July 2012, 01:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomus View Post
this is the most visceral and tense game I have played in many a year...perhaps ever.
+1

Obviously not everyone is going to like it, but I agree, it is the most visceral game I've played. For example, another player got the jump on me last night outside the market in Berezino. He unloaded 10+ shots without a single hit, but my heart did its very best to leap out of my chest (the effect of sudden violence shots bouncing around after hours of sneaky silence is massive). I managed to return fire with my AKS Kobra and hit him a couple of times forcing him to retreat. Even better, he drew all the aggro. I was relatively in the open, so I made my get away as well. While a stalemate, the encounter was truly intense, really fun. Much more than anything I encountered while playing 100+ hours of BF3 as an example.

Quote:
I took a few weeks playing the role of lone survivor before I hooked up with the other TOG members. It was a lonely, terrifying and frustrating experience and I loved it.
This is what I am doing right now. It good fun while I have limited map knowledge and every town is new.
HamiHarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 01:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttersoft View Post
You sir, are a terrible liar!

I can't go anywhere without stumbling across one or more of them.
I swear it is true, never seen one. If I was to purely go by my own experience, the enfield is as rare as the L85 .
Old 30th July 2012, 01:51 PM   #35 (permalink)

Sneaky

Those are freakish odds.

You usually can't walk five metres without tripping over a pile of Lee Enfields. (Actual reality may differ). Get thee to a barn pronto.
Old 30th July 2012, 02:01 PM   #36 (permalink)

You're going to believe me even less when I say that the main sites I have been looting lately are barns (and deer stands) - lots of DB shotties and the odd winchester, no enfields though.
Old 30th July 2012, 02:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
DayZ Face First Leader
Deadly - Post: 1234

Here is one method. Tthere are many others but this one is my favorite because I have had great results.

1. find a hatchet. don't forget to reload it.
2. find a well geared non-togger
3. run up to them and start swinging
4. press capslock and do your best war cry or poem or just say what that one asian guy on a singapore server said "i am sorry, i am sorry, i don't want to do this but i have to i am soo sorry" - while hacking the other guy to pieces.
5. loot up delicious as50s, rangefinders, nvg, coyote backpacks, silenced m4 cco, etc
6. smug post in the "u jelly" thread with your awesome junk
Veilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 02:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

Veilo makes a good point, don't forget steps 5 and 6.

Seriously though having goals in this game can help, I myself have a few personal goals or boxes to check off if you like. Once you get past the basics the challenge of the game comes from what you make it. For example, my first goals where quite small and achievable in the scheme of things, but they also helped bigtime in the long-run. One of my first was to find a hatchet and matches. Once I found those I was able to leave the relatively populated areas and start becoming self-sufficient by hunting and cooking my own food, replacing blood aswell. My next goal was a map and canteen, becoming truely reliant on the woods and world to stay alive, not needing to venture into towns. Once you start ticking those boxes you can move up the list, right now I'm after a tent and a decent spot to set up. After that I'll try for NVGs and/or a vehicle.

Alot of what this game is what you yourself make of it, and that's part of the attraction to me. In saying that we can't exactly tell you how to play or how to enjoy it, just why we do. But I find having small goals can push you past those rage inducing moments and make you think more along the lines of "ohh I'll just check that barn, then the deerstand then log. After I hit that town and check the farmhouse along the way for jerrycans. Friendlies in Stary? Yeh I could swing by...." etc.

Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 03:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Sneaky

I also think the point is that there are no elves, dwarves and dragons. Or lightsabers and capital ships for that matter. I've ODed on fantasy and sci-fi MMOs over the past decade and they always missed something for me. I played Everquest when it first came out and it was amazing. A persistent virtual world. It was a real innovation at the time (apologies Ultima Online fans) and it changed the way I played games. I made that big step from only having played single player games into a bigger world.

I've been looking for that same buzz I think for the past 12 years and haven't really found it until DayZ rocked up. I think I was looking at the wrong menu. I was reading the warm and fuzzy paint by numbers menu when what I actually wanted was the heartpounding, teeth clenching panic menu. I think a lot of the challenge has been taken out of gaming. I think I'm guilty too of running with the wrong crowd and just going through the motions with games. I've enjoyed a lot of games with great narratives and fantastic graphics but they always missed on the emotional investment part.

I wasn't even really into PVP that much because I generally got spanked doing it. In MMOs someone was always fully speced up in the right PVP gear, chose the best PVP class and min/maxed so that if you so much as batted an eyelid at them you were dead already. They were also generally arena modes so you didn't really feel like the battle mattered. I didn't play much FPS run and gun PVP but I generally found it to be the same feeling of pointlessness. Fun for the ADHD crew.

DayZ PVP feels like I can play on my own terms and I can choose the manner of the engagement. I can go toe to toe or I can go stealth and it brings a whole lot more depth to the experience. The permanent world and the permadeath gives it meaning. The adrenaline is pumping once more. I can hear it in everyone's voice in TS when they yell "Survivor!". The fact that a noob with an axe can kill a fully kitted out vet is a thing of beauty. I'm still pretty ordinary at PVP but at least now I feel a real drive to work at getting better at it.

I don't think the importance of this mod can be overstated. I feel like I've been shaken out of a haze and finally seen the light. "Of course! This is what I've wanted all along." I think many are feeling the same way. For a mod to have such a huge impact in such a short period of time is no small thing. Just like with Everquest before, DayZ has become a bit of a turning point for me in my gaming.

Rocket said he wanted to get an emotional response from players.

Well played sir. Well played.

Last edited by Jacomus; 30th July 2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Jacomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 06:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Quote:
I also think the point is that there are no elves, dwarves and dragons.
That's funny. I always considered Maddog a bit of a fairy. *ducks for cover!*

Seriously though, good write-up Jacomus.